Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help needed in installing DVD-RW

• Please log in to reply

harlancountian

harlancountian

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all, I am new to the board and I was really you all may be able to help me a little with installing a DVD-RW into my system. My computer is a Gateway P3 696 with 384MB RAM 25 Gig of harddrive. I have the DVD ROM that came with the computer that is a Hitachi DVD-ROM 5000. I just recently bought a NEC ND3540A DVD-RW. My question is how should I go about setting up the system. Do I need to look for a spliter cable to goto both of my DVD devices from the sound card ( I have the regular SoundBlaster card that comes in every Gateway system if that helps any thing ) And if not, with my new device being faster than the old, should I set the jumpers to the old being the slave and the new being the master? Thabk you to everyone who may be able to help.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you want to install the drive into one of the free 5 1/4 bays next to the old drive, its simple screw into the case job there. Then the IDE cable that is connected ot the old one should have more than one end the other should be free connect this in the same way it is connected to the old drive and set the new drive to slave using the jumpers( set it to master if you want and the other to slave it doesnt really make a difference). It doesnt plug into the sound card, just the motherboard.

harlancountian

harlancountian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I know it probably sounds odd but my new device didn't come with any mounting screws. Does it matter what kind of screws I need to get?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

I know it probably sounds odd but my new device didn't come with any mounting screws. Does it matter what kind of screws I need to get?

Yes, drive screws are shorter and have finer threads. The length is important, too long may damage parts of the drive.