Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deactived display drivers, now Windows is black all day

• Please log in to reply

AncientSion

AncientSion

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Lo everyone,

im using Win XP pro. A few hours ago i updated with SP 2. When i restarted the system, the nvidia-control-panel, including drivers for my GT 6600, wouldnt load.
I rightclicked and opened the display setting. I was able to have 32 bit colors and a resolution of 1600 x 1200, even though the drivers were not loaded (indicated by huge loadingtimes when trying to move windows around).
I opened the advanced-tab, and the graphiccard tab showed nothing, no drivers, not even a name for my graqphics card. Instead, some kind of "VGA" was loaded, addtionally 2-3 ressource-conflicts were shown.
I then entered a dvd and tried to install the lastest nvidia-forceware, 71.81 something (?), which failed, as the installation showed me there was nothing found with which the drivers could work. Ok, so i was shocked, and decided to restart.
I did so, nothing new happened. I again opened the display-settings / advanced. This time, i decided to check the "deactivate" button for the VGA-thingy which forced me to make another restart. And that was when the problem began.
The system would start, the windows screen with the blue bar would appear. At the point where usually the bright windows screen shows up, the screen went black, i was able to hear my computer load stuff, but i couldnt see [bleep]. Its not that the monitor entered stand-by, it was still active (green light). I tried several stuff, from using safe-mode to entering the windows-cd, but nothing helped.
When the black screen appeared and windows did load (i heared it) i was even able to manually shut down the computer or restart it (i.e. wait until desktop is shown, hit alt-f4, and the shortkey).

Can anyone help me ? I feel pissed because i cant do anything if not even the safe-mode works.
[bleep].

I think i need to find a way to either manually reenable the standart drivers, somehow (within dos-mode ? because that one works), no other idea from my side.
[bleep]

thanks a bunch...

Edited by AncientSion, 12 November 2005 - 11:54 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi AncientSion...Welcome to Geeks to Go!

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed and you are sure there is no malware on your system, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 12 November 2005 - 03:54 PM.