Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer not working

• Please log in to reply

zicodani

zicodani

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a problem with an HP all in one printer 1317. I can use it as a scanner, but not as a printer. When I try to add a printer I get the message "operation cannot be completed". I have tried to reinstall it, using the disk and downloaded drivers i get the message "RPC server not avaible. I have started this from "services" and this is working. However, i cannot start the "print spooler" in services, becasue I get Error 1053, server could not replz in ta timelz fashion. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi zicodani

Have you had a Lexmark or a dell printer installed previously? If so, go to the list if running services & see if there is a service called Lexbceserver running. If there is, you need to set its startup type to disabled. Next, make sure that the startup type for the print spooler service is set to automatic and reboot the system.

zicodani

zicodani

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for your advice.I have used another printer with this computer though, so unfortunately that could not be the problem.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, here's another possible solution:
Try removing the RPC configuration from Services, add the new printer, then add RPC server back in again.

Be warned that this is not a method I have ever tried personally, it's a solution I came across that worked for someone else who was having the same problems as you. With that in mind, you may want to create a restore point before making any changes, just in case!