Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

fpny

fpny

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: hi, my windows is suddenly not recognizing most of my files. Applications such as hp director, norton and quicktime creates a popup asking what program the app should be launched with. Any install attempts ends with the same prob......can u help

Edited by fpny, 12 November 2005 - 02:11 PM.

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go!

Try a System Restore to a point before this happened. If that doesn't work, try the instructions located here.
Is this just .exe files, or every file?

Here are more fixes to set default file associations.

fpny

fpny

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
its all files. not too comfortable messing with the registry just yet, i would like to be sure of what is wrong + how did it happen first.

Last month i installed sp2 and to the best of my knowledge there was no malware on the laptop before installtion....

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Sorry it took so long to reply, I had to work yesterday for a while. Did you try a System Restore if possible? If it doesn't work, try to go to the Start Menu, then click Run and type sfc/ scannow. You will need your XP CD to run this, and then you will have to restart once the box with the progress bar goes away.

As for what's wrong and why, that's hard to tell without knowing exactly what you did and without more information about the problem.