Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video problem, just restarts

• Please log in to reply

Luckey

Luckey

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Everytime I use WMP or any other media player the monitor blinks off then on again and most of the time restarts shortly if not immediatly after that. I updated the video drivers and have the right codecs. Everything worked fine to recently when it started doing this. I have a Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 graphics card. I have also ran spyware, adware, and virus check multiple times to avail. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. Have you viewed the event log for details of the crash? Go to my computer, right click manage, event viewer. Find those with the red x at the time of the crash. Right click properites for details. You can also send a report to m$ and view their knowledge base for possible solutions. Random reboots are usually caused by heat, memory, driver issues or the power supply. Since it happens when you try to play videos with WMP, it could be the video driver. Was this happening before you updated the video driver and codecs, or after?

Luckey

Luckey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
the drivers were pretty up to date and it was fine. then it started. and I downloaded new drivers and it didn't change. I looked in the log and under applications it has errors for yesterday but nothing for today. The errors yesterday were all caused by Norton Anti-virus.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
The only thing to do is work through each possible cause to rule it out. Start with heat. Are the fans working, and is the inside of the computer free dust/dirt/cathair etc? You can test the memory. Go to http://www.memtest86.com/. Driver issues and power supply are a little more difficult. You can clean out the video driver installation with http://www.drivercleaner.net/ (it is free). To do this, download driver cleaner. Also make sure you have the current video driver available to install when finished with clean up. Then go to add/remove programs and remove the video driver. Then boot into safe mode and run Driver Cleaner TWICE, each time deleting all that it finds. Then reboot and install the video driver.