Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP stalls, errors and downloads [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Murakami

Murakami

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I really don't have any clue what's going on. I get a nice assortment of error messages and programs that close, run-time errors and ActiveX control errors. My browser was hijacked awhile ago and I took instructed steps to rid the situation, but it left me with a Norton AntiVirus that no longer works correctly. It runs a scan that ultimately fails to missing components. All of the programs in the "start here" area of Malware forum do not work either - even the internet virus scan (it creates an error causing IE to close). The ewido quick scan works and picks up possible trojan infections, but the full scan picks up even more but is forced to close prior to completion in the same way as IE. My laptop also stalls often causing manual shut downs. This also occurs most often when shutting down or restarting. I've posted the hijackthis log as an attachment.

Attached Files

Advertisements

Murakami

Murakami

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm also having trouble accessing Windows Explorer. It often shuts down on me.

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
Hello, Murakami. :)

Your Hijackthis log is clean.

First off, can you re-install norton, or did it come pre-installed on the computer? If you can't re-install it, there are plenty of free alternatives. :tazz:

Second off, if you have a valid Windows XP cd, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

Let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

If System File Checker doesn't fix too many problems, let's just get down to it and do a Windows Repair, because from what you say your system is immensely damaged. Info and instructions on doing that below.

Repair Windows XP, How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade

Murakami

Murakami

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Apparently, Gateway did not send a Windows XP disk with my laptop. Is there some alternative way to repair windows? Otherwise, it will take about a week or so to achieve this, cause I have to find a disk to borrow from someone.

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
Hello, Murakami.

There are quite a few ways to try and repair windows, unfortunately most that would prove effective need the windows cd. :tazz:

Murakami

Murakami

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the help. I'll get a disk this weekend and follow the instructions. :tazz:

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
Hello Murakami,

Sounds good. :tazz:

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.