Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

This sucks (WinXP Home logon)

• Please log in to reply

Matth3w

Matth3w

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I followed the Windows XP tech advice from a thread on another message board. It instructs you to type in some sort of run code into Start>Run which should allow you automatic logon.

Now, I am FULLY aware about going into the CP and and selecting change how users logon (I forgot at the time, though, which is why I did that instead).

Now what it does, is it boots up, then comes to a screen where it looks like a Windows2000/NT etc logon box with the username is "Administrator" (I don't have an account named that, only "Matthew" which is the admin account), and automatically pops up an error saying it can't log me in (probably because its trying to auto-login an account that doesn't exist).

After I hit ok, and change the User Name to Matthew and hit enter (w/o entering a pw) it THEN goes to the usual ugly XP login with the little chess logo, to which, I still have to hit "Matthew" to be logged in.

If this was 6-10 months ago, when I never rebooted or turned off my computer, that would be ok...but now that gas/elec prices have doubled, I tend to shut it off at least once a day.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I would go back to where you found these "really sound" instructions and see what you are supposted to do when it hosed up your computer. Do you have a copy of the script that you ran? Maybe if you post it here someone will know how to help.

Matth3w

Matth3w

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I would go back to where you found these "really sound" instructions and see what you are supposted to do when it hosed up your computer. Do you have a copy of the script that you ran? Maybe if you post it here someone will know how to help.

i cant find it now :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Matth3w...

Try a System Restore to a time before you changed your log-in settings...then make the change through Control Panel.

wannabe1

Matth3w

Matth3w

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi Matth3w...

Try a System Restore to a time before you changed your log-in settings...then make the change through Control Panel.

wannabe1

it was one of the first things i did (i was following a guide) and on top of that, i always turn off system restore.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
System Restore would sure be handy about now, huh?

Do you have a retail XP installation cd or is this an OEM machine? You might try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

wannabe1

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Download TweakUI (MS Powertoys) and use the auto log on feature. Also, you can substitute any pic you want for the chess piece.
http://www.microsoft...s/powertoys.asp

Johanna