Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having problem with router

• Please log in to reply

Reaper_22

Reaper_22

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Before i got dsl i would play on Zone.com

But now i got dsl and a router and i cant. I cant loggin on Zone.com or access my emails.. I found out its my router cause if i plug directly into the modem i can go to them places..

How do i solve this?

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go Reaper_22 :tazz:

What brand of router is yours, and what is the model number?? Do you have the cable running from the Modems Ethernet Port to the Routers Uplink Port?? Is the Router setup to be a Router, or a Gateway?? Can you connet to the internet at all when hooked in to the router?? Did you run the Windows XP Network Setup Wizard?? If you could reply back with this information that will help on solving this problem.

Reaper_22

Reaper_22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
wow, so complicated.. :tazz: erm...

It is a netgear 54 Wbps Wireless Router WGR614 v4
Yes the cable is running from the modem to the uplink port
I have no idea what a gateway is, but we have it so both me and my brother can be on, plus i can ahve my laptop on wireless
Yes i can connect to the internet. I just have trouble getting to sites where you have to sign in at. (hotmail, zone.com...ect)
And i dont know how to rune the wizard thingy...

Reaper_22

Reaper_22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ooops, its supposed to be 54 Mbps not Wbps , i couldnt find the edit button..

wescashman

wescashman

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I also have a Netgear Wireless Router, same as his. Two desktops directly plugged in and two laptops run wirelessly. I also have problems logging into secure sites and others too. Both on the ethernet connected machines and on the wireless connections. Network is connected to internet via Comcast Cable modem. My P2P programs run fast and strong, as do downloads (speeds into the high 300's kbp/s) but for whatever reason IE is cracked out. When signed on to AOL through the cable modem, the same sites load appropriately. I have also noticed that the wireless connections has trouble maintaining 54 Mbp/s drop in increments of 12 and usually bottoms out at 24 before going dead.

I had had Spyware problems on my laptop but the other machines are experiencing the same problems (one of the desktops is only 2 days old). Seems to me it is either the router or the cable modem/service. Thanks for help in advance.

Wes

wescashman

wescashman

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
PS. Reaper 22, to run the wizard, go into Control Panel, select Network and Internet.... then select the Network Setup Wizard icon at the bottom. See if that helps.

Wes

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
How about you both plug directly in to the modem to see if you can access the sites that need you to log to, see it if works. Post back, when you can to let me know if it works.

Reaper_22

Reaper_22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I already said i could in my first post :tazz:, yeha i can log into those places when i go directly to the modem

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Im sorry about that Reaper_22 :tazz:

Check the firmware version, if it is lower then Version 5.0_02 then head over to WGR614 Cable/DSL Wireless Router Support Page and download the new firmware. Try this and post back when you can to see if this work.

Reaper_22

Reaper_22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
whats firmware? and how do i check it to see iof its lower than what you said?

wescashman

wescashman

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My firmware is up to date.

To check: go to www.routerlogin.com
Use ID: Admin and Password: Password
Select Router Status under Maintenance on the left hand side

wescashman

wescashman

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have just completely cleaned my system of Spyware and nasty stuff. IE appears to be working much better though still has problems loading pages with with the speed I am used. Often times it will bog down for a 15-20 minutes.

Downloads are still fast. Just seems to be poor response times. The bandwidth still fluxuates periodically. I have enabled the security on the router to ensure there are no unauthoirzed users on our connection. I will repost if the issues continue.

Thanks for your help, let me know if there is anything else you can think of that might be disabling my network.

Thanks again.

Wes