Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

F8 won't get to safe mode

• Please log in to reply

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I've got a Gateway laptop with xp pro. I can't get into safe mode. F8 will not get me into safe mode. On the screen it says 'stuck key'. Other wise it runs great....

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
The f8 key doesn't feel stuck. It feels like all the others. I'm wondering if I can hook up a usb keyboard to solve this problem.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Try holding down the Ctrl key at startup.

bilko

bilko

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Sometimes F5 works instead of F8

cremedies

cremedies

• Pip
  • 3 posts
F8 will work. You just have to be patient and tap the F8 key continuously about once every half second. Eventually, you will catch it at the correct time.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Thanks for the replies...F5 worked.

MK Chris

MK Chris

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry to bring this back up, but I have tried repeatedly pressing F8 and F5 as well as holding down CTRL at startup numerous times, with no luck - is there any alternative way of doing it? I can't get into msconfig cos as soon as I log on to my computer, it logs me straight off again...

Many thanks for any help people can provide... :tazz: ;)

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
See this link: -> http://service1.syma...src=sec_doc_nam

RockRunner85

RockRunner85

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Sorry to bring this back up, but I have tried repeatedly pressing F8 and F5 as well as holding down CTRL at startup numerous times, with no luck - is there any alternative way of doing it?  I can't get into msconfig cos as soon as I log on to my computer, it logs me straight off again...

Many thanks for any help people can provide...  :tazz:  ;)

View Post

I know that most people will not like this idea, however you can use it as a last resort since none of the other options are working. When the computer shows the starting Windows XP screen, pull the power plug. Since you have a laptop make sure the battery is out when you do this. Turn it back on. It should now show you the selection screen and inform you that the last startup attempt failed.

MK Chris

MK Chris

• Pip
  • 3 posts

See this link: -> http://service1.syma...src=sec_doc_nam

View Post

Thank you for this - but I have read this page and it doesn't help - it simply will not boot - I have since tried all the F8 keys on the keyboard with no success.

I know that most people will not like this idea, however you can use it as a last resort since none of the other options are working. When the computer shows the starting Windows XP screen, pull the power plug. Since you have a laptop make sure the battery is out when you do this. Turn it back on. It should now show you the selection screen and inform you that the last startup attempt failed.

That's not a bad idea as a very last resort - didn't think of that one, thank you.

Darkness

Darkness

• Pip
  • 5 posts
If you can move around in regular mode at all, try this
start -> run -> msconfig
click on boot.ini
Under boot options, put a check next to /safeboot
If you do this however you will *always* boot into safe mode so make sure you go back into the system configuration and take that check out

Darkness

Darkness

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Helps to actually read those previous posts, please ignore my last one :tazz:
If it's not booting at all, then you'll have to create a boot disk or if you have your xp cd, you can try booting with that. That might require a little BIOS editting. Are you getting any errors? Need more details to go further.