Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

X850 XT PE vs. Dual 6600 video boards

• Please log in to reply

soujrnr

soujrnr

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi Gang,

I just built two systems that are identical with the exception of the video boards. The system specs for both systems are as follows:

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe mobos
2 GB DDR 400 SDRAM
350 GB SATA 150 hard drives
CD/R
CD/DVD R/W

One has an X850 XT PE video board while the other one has dual 6600s configured in SLI. Side by side running Half-Life 2, the one with the single X850 is much, much faster at loading the chapter transitions or scene changes than the dual 6600s are. Everything I've read says the dual 6600s in SLI are quicker than a single X850 XT PE. What gives? I'm not sure which benchmark software I can use to check them for video speeds so perhaps someone might also have a good recommendation along that line as well.

I'm not sure if I need to somehow tweak the 6600s for better performance (I know they are great for overclocking) but out of the box I thought I would get better performance with two of them in SLI. Any thoughts from others??

Thanks and have a great weekend!!

Mike

Advertisements

soujrnr

soujrnr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Forgot to mention....

The system with the X850 XT PE edition is running WinXP Pro with an AMD Athlon 3200+ 64-bit proc. and the other system with the dual 6600s is running WinXP Pro with and AMD Athlon 3500+ 64-bit proc. and so the system with the dual 6600s is actually running a bit faster.

Thanks.

Mike