Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD Chipsets?

• Please log in to reply

malerba28

malerba28

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hey Guys,

This has been a question I have had for a while now and I have done the research, but I have not come up with a clean answer.

Which motherboard chipsets are best, north/south and which perform better for different things, like gaming or business applications?

I am about to purchase a new mobo along with a new AMD Athlon 3500+ and the mobos are identical except one has a VIA chipset and the other a Nforce4 chipset. I read about the two and found out that the latter is the more popular one, but is it the better for gaming?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Nforce 4 is the better/newer chipset. AMD systems also only have a north brodge as the memory controller is on the chip. There is also the ATI 200 boards coming out now for 939.