Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

X850 XT PE vs. Dual 6600 video boards

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah but they all use the same memory so memory speed isnt the biggest issue. I dont know if i agree with the article they are making assumptions about a card that hasnt even been given out as reference cards yet. Also you cant count your chickens the R520 turned out to be so bothersome to produce they had to limit its functions and it has a huge advantage on a standard 7800 the archtiecture of the 7800 would need some serious tweaks. They 512mb arent even available to order yet and as far as i know and the r580s have been slated for a before christmas release possibly, and the rumours coming from ATI is saying that conservative estimates are for double the speed of a R520xt and it is really well engineered and had a great trial production one with the lowest number of non functional cards in any run of cards yet(r520 had the most out of the last 5 years or something ridiculous took them like 10 goes to get it to work).

Im not to sure about the release of the R580s i would wait a while if i was them it will really take the wind out of the R520s, but maybe they intend on lowering the price of the 520s if so all of us will be in for a treat.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I would really like to have the 7800 gtx 512MB.. All of those cards cost $749 U.S. dollars and they are already out of stock on the bfg, evga and xfx at newegg... lol

soujrnr

soujrnr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok, this inquiring mind just has to know....First off, I'm a radar field engineer. I work on a radar system called SPY and it's found only on warships in the navy. It is the most advanced radar of it's kind on the planet. I LOVE technology and I love speed and advancements and what have you and love to see upgrades and install them. Now, that being said, what is it with this ongoing obsession with newer, faster, bigger, more expensive video boards? What exactly is it that people are running that they can't run just fine with an x850 XT PE or the dual 6600s in my other computer or even a lesser board? It seems like people are dying for these newer cards and do people actually NEED that much power and video capability? I haven't found anything that I can't do, and do pretty well, with my dual 6600s or the machine I built for my son with the X850 XT PE. I'm probably the biggest computer geek at my office and I just don't see why people are constantly upgrading. I have a friend who upgrades just for the sake of upgrading and half the time doesn't know why or what benefit he'll get from it. It's madness, I tell you.....madness. :tazz:

Can anyone answer me?

Good day and thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!!

Mike

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Most of the techs here are in the same position as you from what ive seen and dont upgrade for the sake of it. People buy them as they have to much money, you can see the difference when you use these cards with really cracking monitors for your average punter it works just the same. There isnt much the x850 wont do, but it was top of the line only a few months ago.

We leet technophiles just love chatting about it really.

Edited by warriorscot, 16 November 2005 - 05:54 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Lmao yeh, we should get each others msn warriorscot. :tazz:

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
hrmmm....Nvidia have to come up with something good...if ATI takes the market we will all become windowed

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There are too many nvidia fan boys that just wont admit that ATI can make a card half as good as an nvidia one let alone with consistently better build quality and efficeinvy(true anti aliasing as well i still cant believe nvidia cards cant do true anti aliasing yet.)

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Sort of on topic but i will send link to a proper forum.

I found out more info on the 7800 gtx 512MB version.

The ati X1800 xt 512MB has 48 GB/s which is everything added together.

The nvidia 7800 gtx 512MB has 54.4GB/s.

http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=78906

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I saw a quick review and performance was about the same but i think they were using a reference 7800, there wont be much between it ATI have got wringin every last drop of power out of cards for max efficenvy down to an art, Nvidia have always been brutes of cards but horribly inefficeint that was what SM3 was all about it was identical to SM2 in near every respect but was more efficeint for the nvidia cards to kepp up. I wonder if Nvidia fixed the AA problem with the 7800 512mb.