Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Security not recognizing antivirus software.

• Please log in to reply

wright3279

wright3279

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
In Security Center in Control Panel, it says I have no virus protection. Also in Event Viewer in Administrative Tools I get this error message: "The Windows Security Center Service was unable to establish event queries with WMI to monitor third party AntiVirus and Firewall." Google search on this error message gives no help.
I have reinstalled Avast and have also tried AVG. Same problem. Both used to work. Are they working now and the computer has a glitch in reconizing it?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi wright3279...Welcome to G2G!

Windows Security Center does not recognize all Anti Virus applications. This seems to be especially true of the free versions even though they are just as effective as the versions offered for purchase.

In Security Center you can "tell" the machine that you are monitoring your AV application yourself.

wannabe1

wright3279

wright3279

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Hi wright3279...Welcome to G2G!

Windows Security Center does not recognize all Anti Virus applications. This seems to be especially true of the free versions even though they are just as effective as the versions offered for purchase.

In Security Center you can "tell" the machine that you are monitoring your AV application yourself.

wannabe1

I know that, but this is a recent occurance. Security center has previously recognized the antivirus program. Why did it stop?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you installed any new software recently? It may also have been caused by a recent Windows Update. Of course, there's always the possibility that it's malware, too. You might try running the programs suggested in the Malware Forum under the Start Here link at the top of the page HERE. If you post an HJT log in that forum, they can tell you for sure if it is malware related or not.

wannabe1