Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Formatting C:

• Please log in to reply

John Rickert

John Rickert

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I want to solve the drag and drop problem mentioned earlier. I have saved all my data and have the install disks for all programs I use. Can I simply format c: and reinstall all my software or is it more complicated than that? Maybe I don't even need to reformat. I need some help here.

John

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi John Rickert...

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP first. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

If you still have issues after the repair and wish to format, post back and we'll give you a hand... :tazz:

wannabe1

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The purist view is that a clean install will always surpass a repair of the OS

As you are in the position of having everything backed up, along with all the installation CD's then a clean install would be a good move

Before that, you can run through these, if only for the practise, however, they could restore the system to an acceptable level

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot.

You can check for any improvement now, and then after each step until you have run through them all, if necessary

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click more options then clean up restore points, click confirm, click OK. Then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete, then reboot

If no change, the next thing to do would be a repair install, this will leave data and settings intact

XP Repair

If you are unable to run XP Repair

Alternate XP Repair

Use the last one, Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, which uses a slightly different method

Beyond this, it could be a hardware fault

The next steps are optional

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

To format the drive for a clean install:

Boot the PC, keep tapping the delete key until you enter set up

Set the boot priority to CD ROM Drive then Hard Drive, press F10 to save the change, type Y to confirm, load the XP CD in to the CD Drive, press enter

It will reboot, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

It will load the drivers, you press esc to install Windows without repairing, press D to delete the partition, type L to confirm and let it format at its default NTFS setting, do not change this to quick

This takes a couple of hours, it will reboot then continue with set up, you have two inputs, to change the regional settings, click each tab to set everything for your location, but click apply before moving on to the next screen or subscreen, the other input is to install networking, click for default and it will continue set up

John Rickert

John Rickert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Hi John Rickert...

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP first. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

If you still have issues after the repair and wish to format, post back and we'll give you a hand... :tazz:

wannabe1

I'm not sure exactly what took place as what came up on the screens was different than in your message. However, I ended up with a reinstal of XP pro. Suprising to me was the fact that when I looked in explorer, I saw all the folders that were there before I started. However, when I click start then programs, nothing shows up. It's like it's all there but the system doesn't know it.

I tried one of the programs, my email client, and it worked but I had to get to the icon via the explore route. Is there anyway to repopulate the programs list that used to show up when I clicked start and then programs?

Thanks, John

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I've had this happen before using OEM versions of Windows XP. Unlike a normal repair of XP, by following the link in my signature, your settings are not saved but your files are. Hence why your programs folder still contains every file for the program, but the computers registry has been wiped clean with a fresh version. Only thing left for you to do now is a full installation. You already said you backed up your important files, so you have nothing to worry about.

Fenor

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

I'm not sure exactly what took place as what came up on the screens was different than in your message. However, I ended up with a reinstal of XP pro. Suprising to me was the fact that when I looked in explorer, I saw all the folders that were there before I started. However, when I click start then programs, nothing shows up. It's like it's all there but the system doesn't know it.

I tried one of the programs, my email client, and it worked but I had to get to the icon via the explore route. Is there anyway to repopulate the programs list that used to show up when I clicked start and then programs?

Thanks, John

Yes, and it's quite simple, if you mean the Start menu at the top of the column and not the one in Programs. You make shortcuts to the Desktop for those programs, open the Start folder in your documents and settings, and drag and drop the desktop icons into the folder. You may be able to do something similar for the Programs start menu, but I haven't done it myself.

PS: I just tried it, open the start menu folder, then open the program folder, then drag and drop the shortcuts into the folder. Presto bango!

Edited by Tyger, 13 November 2005 - 08:17 PM.