Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Opening RAR Archive files

• Please log in to reply

ast243

ast243

• Pip
  • 1 posts
A friend of mine sent me pictures in the RAR archive format, and told me to download a program (it's titled rarosx-3.5.0.tar) in order to open the pictures that he sent me. I downloaded the program but when I try to open the RAR archive file that he sent me, it tries to open it with StuffIt Expander and I get this message: "An error has occurred while expanding the file "bb.rar" (Format error). Error #17540." I have tried to manually choose the .tar program to open the file with, but my computer refuses to let me even attempt to do this - the program appears as gray, not letting me click on it. What can I do to open this file? I have a PowerBook G4, running on Mac OS X. I hope I explained this clearly enough. Thank you for your help. :tazz:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would get a program called 7zip thats what i use its free and will zip and unzip near anything you want and its very simple to use.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
you have a mac? just do it using the command line

it should be tar -xvf filename.tar if tar is installed, which it very often is.

and you can't get plain 7zip for macs. there's only a command line version called p7zip, but either way you have to mess with the command line anyway. if the command line wont do it, then your file is corrupt. I think everyone should learn how to do things using the command line, its so much more dependable when you have a mac or linux

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
But why would you want to use a mac in the first place, horrid little things.