Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting to Internet is causing problems-Help!

• Please log in to reply

Ferrante

Ferrante

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
Upon startup, played Solitaire offline for appox. five minutes. Then connected to the Internet through DSL and started up Internet Explorer. Told me page cannot be displayed. Clicked on Internet icon and said it had already been connected for nine minutes. Then I rebooted and system would not accept password. Then I disconnected Internet connection and rebooted, and password was accepted this time. But still browser says no internet connection, but icon says I am. I can do most everything normally with computer, it's only when I try and connect that the problems start. How can I check or fix these problems?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download Winsock XP Fix from here, near top, save it to a floppy or CDR then install it on the problem PC

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Easiest fix for this solution is to log into the modem for your DSL and change the login name and password to the MASTER username and password for your DSL account.

The usual way to log into the modem is to open Internet Explorer (or your browser of choice) and enter 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

If neither of these work, then go to START-->RUN and type cmd. In the window that appears type ipconfig. Take note of what is listed for DEFAULT GATEWAY. That is what you need to type into the address bar in your browser.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 12 November 2005 - 08:19 PM.

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
I went to default Gateway and nothing is listed. When I tried to put the numbers in the browser, it said page could not be displayed. Now what should I try? And thanks for helping me.

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Download Winsock XP Fix from here, near top, save it to a floppy or CDR then install it on the problem PC

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

I will try that, but I have to wait and go to the library, tomorrow, as I cannot connect to the Internet.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go to STARt-->RUN and type cmd, but this time in the new window that appears, type ipconfig /release and press Enter. The values that appear on the screen for IP ADDRESS, SUBNET MASK and DEFAULT GATEWAY should now all be 0.0.0.0. Now type ipconfig /renew and tell me what is listed for each of those three.

PLEASE NOTE: IF YOUR IP ADDRESS DOES NOT START WITH 192.168.X.X THEN DO NOT POST IT IN HERE!! JUST SAY IT IS NOT IN THE RIGHT FORMAT.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 12 November 2005 - 09:01 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Just curious Ferrante, but your last reply you said you can't access the Internet, but yet you are able to post a reply on this board? If you are on a dialup connection and don't think it'll be fast enough, don't worry that file is very small in size and won't take long to download even on a dial-up connection.

Fenor

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Just curious Ferrante, but your last reply you said you can't access the Internet, but yet you are able to post a reply on this board? If you are on a dialup connection and don't think it'll be fast enough, don't worry that file is very small in size and won't take long to download even on a dial-up connection.

Fenor

That is because I am doing this for my best friend, who is 2000 miles away from me. We are talking via the telephone and I am relaying your information to him.

I have sent him that Winsockfix to his Yahoo account, but he cannot go to the library until tomorrow. We thought we might be able to fix things before that, but I undeerstand your questions.

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Go to STARt-->RUN and type cmd, but this time in the new window that appears, type ipconfig /release and press Enter. The values that appear on the screen for IP ADDRESS, SUBNET MASK and DEFAULT GATEWAY should now all be 0.0.0.0. Now type ipconfig /renew and tell me what is listed for each of those three.

PLEASE NOTE: IF YOUR IP ADDRESS DOES NOT START WITH 192.168.X.X THEN DO NOT POST IT IN HERE!! JUST SAY IT IS NOT IN THE RIGHT FORMAT.

Fenor

I did what you said and got the following message: all adapters found to DHCP do not have DHCP addresses. The addresses were automatically configured and cannot be released.

Now what?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
His computer is connected directly to the modem or is there a router between his computer and the dsl modem?

Fenor

Advertisements

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

His computer is connected directly to the modem or is there a router between his computer and the dsl modem?

Fenor

Direct connection to modem.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Have him try turning off his computer and unplugging the power cord from the back of the modem. Have him wait a good 5 minutes. Then have him plug in the power cord into the back of the modem. Wait 30-60 seconds for the modem to initialize and then have him boot up his computer and try to connect to DSL.

Fenor

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Have him try turning off his computer and unplugging the power cord from the back of the modem. Have him wait a good 5 minutes. Then have him plug in the power cord into the back of the modem. Wait 30-60 seconds for the modem to initialize and then have him boot up his computer and try to connect to DSL.

Fenor

I did as you said and he is going to do it now. I will find out if that worked in about 10-15 minutes and will post results. Thanks again.

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

I did as you said and he is going to do it now. I will find out if that worked in about 10-15 minutes and will post results. Thanks again.

We did as you suggested and when he rebooted, it still says page cannot be displayed and when he clicked onto the Internet Icon, it says no bytes are being sent, but bytes are being recieved, about 310, but shows connection at 100mbps. ??

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Does he have a limited/no connectivity icon by the clock in the systray? It will be a yellow triangle with a question mark inside of it.

Fenor