Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer powers off-windows xp

• Please log in to reply

tatoomikey

tatoomikey

• Pip
  • 6 posts
just after "windows is starting" screen, or sometimes shortly after, computer shuts down. no restart, just shuts down. it will come up in safe mode but no other way, not selective startup, diagnostic startup, vga mode. any body out there have any ideas on troubleshooting this.

thanx

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi tatoomikey! Welcome to G2G!

If you have your XP cd handy, then I suggest you do a REPAIR INSTALLATION of windows using the link in my signature as a guide. Don't worry, after doing this all your programs will still work and you won't lose any files or settings. All this does is fix your operating system files (C:\WINDOWS). You will need to redo all windows updates after doing this.

Please Note that OEM Windows XP CD's do not have the repair option, so if you can't do a repair installation then please say so and we will try other options to help solve your problem.

Fenor

tatoomikey

tatoomikey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanx for the quick reply. i will try your suggestion. i have retail upgrade version, so i should have recovery capability. i will let you know how i make out.

tatoomikey

tatoomikey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
reloaded windows xp last night using repair option. so far it seems to be working. i have had many problems with xp over the past two years. i have had to reload many times, though i never used the repair option before. thanx for the help. i will repost if error returns

tatoomikey

tatoomikey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well... computer shut down again while windows update was running. also shut down while doing nothing earlier. any other suggestions?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would suggest you get a new Power Supply Unit (PSU) for your computer. At least a 400W power supply.

Fenor

tatoomikey

tatoomikey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i will try that next. question though.... the computer will run in safe mode all day long. what is the difference from a power point of view from running in safe mode to idle in normal mode. i realize there are a bunch of background programs, but even when i used selective/diagnostic startup, it would quit on me, yet it will come up every time in safe mode.

tatoomikey

tatoomikey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
also... is there a log that gets written when windows shuts down so as to differentiate between a hardware and software failure.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You can go to the Event Viewer (START-->RUN and type eventvwr.msc) and click on SYSTEM in the new window that appears and locate and post any RED X's that are listed that correspond to the time that your computer shutting down.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 13 November 2005 - 06:35 PM.