Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

About Firefox browser

• Please log in to reply

RosePetals

RosePetals

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I use Netzero for my ISP and Firefox browser. I am not sure if it is Netzero or Firefox browser, but I get disconnected if I get up and leave my computer for 15 minutes. This is driving me crazy. I am on a phone line connection but have a separate line for the internet. Is there a setting in the Firefox browser I could set that would keep me from disconnecting?
RosePetals

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I guess you are using a dial-up connection? If so, check the settings in the dial-up connection properties. There's a setting in there for "Disconnect if idle for more than XX minutes". Just disable it (untick it). Sorry I can't be more specific but I don't use a dial-up connection so I can't check exactly where that setting is -- just relying on my memory.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
if its netzero then they'll do that anyway. I dont think there's a way around it. my parents had netzero for years, whenever i idled they'd kick me. annoying.

try what pip said though. I haven't been on NZ for ages, they update a lot. you might be able to override it now

RosePetals

RosePetals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi guys,
Thanks for the help. Yes Pip22, I am on dial up. I looked in the options and couldn't find an option like that. But like Thef0rce saidI think it iss Netzero. And yes it is very very annoying. I have no other complaints against Netzero except that. I hate to change ISP, but I am thinking about it becaue of this. I am looking into Earthlink, the only down side is it is $6 more dollars a month just to keep it from disconnecting on me.
Anymore ideas??
RosePetals

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
can you possibly afford dsl? its always on so you won't get kicked, and fast too so it'll save lots of time. only possible pitfall is that you might not be near an exchange but any broadband provider will tell you that if you enter your phone number into the form they provide. it might be better value these days than a dial-up connection that won't disconnect you if you go idle.

RosePetals

RosePetals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
According to my husband for some reason we can't get DSL or I would have done that a long time ago. And there is no cable comes by my house soooooooo I am stuck with phone connection. Now I will just have to find a good ISP.
RosePetals

Paradox924X

Paradox924X

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Look for BigZoo... that's all I can say for now.. it's $5 per month and is faster than NetZero but there's a requirement or something.. I think you have to own a private company or such... If you have your own little store, give it a shot.. I have no other information.. sorry I can't be of anymore help..