Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

what have i done

• Please log in to reply

relmore

relmore

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
i posted this in the malware section as well since it has to do with the Vundofix prog

I am new here to this cool site. I was trying to get rid of winfixer and did the following.
i mistakenly did all of this in normal mode!
I downloaded Vundofix and ran it by itself without the hijackthis prog running

i entered the first line as told in the post and pressed enter. then i started to enter the second line but accidently hit enter after it was just c:\windows\ then it said file not found or is in use and that i needed to reboot. i closed the program to find my whole desktop empty. no taskbar no icons nothing. now when i reboot in normal or safe mode there is nothing there. just my background and a cursor. this is not a joke and i know i was extremely careless. I feel very dumb right now to say the least. any suggestions to what i can do? Thanks!! i am running XP. im on my the laptop right now because i can't even open the browser on my troubled desktop

Russell

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
relmore...

Try booting into safe mode with command prompt by tapping the F8 key during the boot sequence and choosing the command prompt option. Then try a System Restore by doing the following.

At command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press "Enter" to start the System Restore Function. Choose a date before all this happened and let it restore.

If that doesn't work, try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

wannabe1

relmore

relmore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
wannabe1,
Thanks alot. sys restore worked just fine