Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Eliminating Winfixer.com Popups [resolved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

g2i2r4

g2i2r4

retired HiJack Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 5,080 posts
Okay, left remove the leftover parts of Norton too.

I see these:
Norton WMI Update
LiveUpdate 2.6 (Symantec Corporation)

Move to Start > Settings > Control Panel
Double click Add/Remove Programs.
Within Add/Remove programs click the "Install/Uninstall" tab or click the "Change or Remove Programs" button.
Within this section you will see a listing of programs that are currently installed that support this feature. If the program I’m advising you to uninstall is listed within this list, highlight it and click the Add/Remove or uninstall option or button.

Go to Start->Run and type "Services.msc" (without quotes) then hit Ok
Scroll down and find the service called:

SymWMI Service

When you find it, double-click on it. In the next window that opens, click the Stop button, then click on properties and under the General Tab, change the Startup Type to Disabled. Now hit Apply and then Ok and close any open windows.

Open HijackThis
click on "None of the above, just start the program".
click on the "Config" button (bottom right),
click on "Misc Tools"
click on "Delete an NT Service" (a window will pop up)
Enter the below item into that field (make sure there are NO spaces before or after the name):

SymWSC

Click OK.

It should pull up information about the service, then ask if you want to reboot. Click YES.

Open HijackThis
Place a check against each of the following, making sure you get them all and not any others by mistake:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UserFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u

Close all programs leaving only HijackThis running.
Click on Fix Checked when finished and exit HijackThis.

Is the computer running ok?
If so, shall I post you some tips for the future and close this topic?

Advertisements

SkinsFtblFan

SkinsFtblFan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I found both programs Norton WMI Update and LiveUpdate 2.6 in Add/Remove programs so I removed them.

When I ran "Services.msc", it did not find "SymWMI Service" (I assume that was because I was able to remove it above) and the same thing for SymWSC.

I was able to find one line that matched "O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UserFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u" and deleted it in HijackThis.

The computer has been running much better...no popups or winfixer.com redirects. As I said before, I really appreciate all your help.

I would appreciate any tips for the future. You're the best! :tazz:

Pete

g2i2r4

g2i2r4

retired HiJack Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 5,080 posts
Thank you for the compliment :tazz:
You did great too!

-----------------

Please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:
  • Disable and Enable System Restore. - If you are using Windows ME or XP then you should disable and re-enable system restore to make sure there are no infected files found in a restore point.

You can find instructions on how to enable and re-enable system restore here:

Managing Windows Millenium System Restore

or

Windows XP System Restore Guide

Re-enable system restore with the instructions from the tutorial above

• Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    • Click once on the Security tab
    • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    • Click once on the Custom Level button.
      • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
      • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
      • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
      • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
      • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
      • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
      • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
      • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
  • Use an AntiVirus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future.

See this link for a listing of some online & their stand-alone antivirus programs:

Virus, Spyware, and Malware Protection and Removal Resources

• Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

• Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over. I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:

Understanding and Using Firewalls

• Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer always has the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

• Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option. This will provide realtime spyware & Hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should also scan your computer with this program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software.

A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware , Malware, and Hijackers

• Install Ad-Aware – Download and install Ad-Aware. You should also scan your computer with this program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software in conjunction with Spybot.

Using Ad-aware to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from your Computer

• Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will add a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.

Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

• Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

You may want to check this fine article by Tony Klein: How did I get infected in the first place?

Glad I was able to help.