Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC freezes, software ruled out (Self-Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

ishist

ishist

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello folks, I've been searching this forum for 2 days looking for a solution to my problem.

I've had this computer for 1.5 years and have never had a problem, but, for the last 4 days I've been experiencing seemingly random freezes. It's happened while playing graphically intensive games, while surfing the net, and while rebooting after a freeze. thanks to this forums, I eventually decided to reformat, just to skip all the software related issues. While I was using ThunderboxPC's excellent disc image restoration disks, the system froze. After restarting that and getting it completed, I installed updated drivers for sound/graphics and directx 9.0c. No Joy, still freezes.

My first guess was overheating, and when I first checked my temps in BIOS, I had a CPU temp of 60C. SO I opened it up and cleaned it out, it had a ton of caked, burnt dust on the CPU fan and heatsink. after I had cleaned it thoroughly, I restarted and had a CPU temp of 42C. after running a game for awhile, it froze. I immediatly restarted and checked temps from BIOS, and had a CPU temp of 50-51C.

So I finally decided to run this passed you fine folks and see if you can help me. I'm hoping it is an overheating problem, RAM is over my budget at the moment. I was going to post the temp. info everest gave me, but it all appears well into a normal 31-44C range at the moment.

I worked 12h days and have to sleep, so I may be slow to reply, thanks in advance for any assistance

Edited by ishist, 14 November 2005 - 11:32 AM.

Advertisements

ishist

ishist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Unfortuantly, I can't seem to edit my own post, My PC basic specs are in my profile, but here they are for reference

Windows XP Home SP2
CPU: AMD Atholon 64 3000+
Motherboard: Shuttle AN50R
Motherboard Chipset: nVIDIA nForce3 150, AMD Hammer
RAM: 1 Gig PC3200 DDR SDRAM
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 Ultra (128 MB)

If you need any further info, let me know

Edited by ishist, 13 November 2005 - 08:46 AM.

ishist

ishist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Fixed it myself, thanks for all the ...erm...help

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i appologize that no one got to you befoe you fixed the problem on your own. Congratulations on finding your sollution..Good work!!...would you mind posting what you did to fix this issue, just in case someone else with the same problem finds this thread?

ishist

ishist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I broke down and physically tested my RAM. Taking out one and running my PC for awhile, then replacing it and taking out the other.

The problem turned out to be a dirty slot. One can of air later, the problem is solved.

The moral of the story is:

Always try to keep your PC in as dust-free an enviroment as possible, and if that isn't possible, try to clean it thoroughly with compressed air regularly.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
good catch! and excellent problem solving skills!