Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP running slow

• Please log in to reply

baltclown

baltclown

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi,

I was having many problems with my computer one of which is that Windows has been running choppier and slower than before (namely when dragging windows or scrolling up and down). To make a long story short, I bought a new harddrive and did a fresh install of Windows and this solved some of the other issues I was having but Windows is still running choppy. This leads me to believe it's a hardware issue somewhere else. I tried swapping out all the RAM sticks (3 256 MB each) and had the same result. What could be causing the problem?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi baltclown!

Have you even thought of replacing the Power Supply Unit (PSU)? What is the maximum wattage available for your current PSU?

Also, what video card are you using? Is it an AGP/PCI card or is it onboard?

I would also suggest that you update your chipset drivers and video card drivers to their most current versions. If you need help finding drivers for these devices, then please download, install and run Everest Home Edition (using the link in my signature), and then run a SYSTEM SCAN and post the report (as an ATTACMENT) to your next reply here.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 13 November 2005 - 01:31 PM.

baltclown

baltclown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I realized I had not installed the video card driver and once I did that Windows was fine. Looks like Im all set now. Thanks!