Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Safely remove hardware" icon not appearing in taskbar

• Please log in to reply

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello everyone,

I have another one of those windows annoyances, the "Safely remove hardware" icon is not appearing in my taskbar when I have USB devices plugged into my system. It was appearing before and this new behavior has been for about the last 2 weeks or so. I can't think of any major system changes made in that time. Any ideas on how to recover this icon or to somehow access the same program through the command line?

Cheers,
Tom

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi gust0208!

Right click in an empty part of your taskbar, select PROPERTIES, then click the CUSTOMIZE button. Scroll down the list until you see the SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE item. Highlight it, and from the drop down list to the right choose Hide When Inactive.

Fenor

gust0208

gust0208

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Thanks for the quick reply,

I tried the suggestion (I had tried changing it to "always show" just before posting) and still, the icon will not appear when a USB device is plugged in (testing with my USB thumb drive). Any other ideas for getting the icon to appear or other ways to access the "safely remove hardware" window?

Cheers,
Tom

Hi gust0208!

Right click in an empty part of your taskbar, select PROPERTIES, then click the CUSTOMIZE button. Scroll down the list until you see the SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE item. Highlight it, and from the drop down list to the right choose Hide When Inactive.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do the items attached to your USB ports still work even though the safely remove hardware icon doesn't show?

Fenor

gust0208

gust0208

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello and thanks for the quick reply,

Yes, the USB devices work perfectly. I have tried a number of devices and they all work. The USB flash drive shows up in the My Computer area as a drive per usual and I am able to write files to it. I also have two USB 2.0 external hard drives that working perfectly as well.

Cheers,
Tom

Do the items attached to your USB ports still work even though the safely remove hardware icon doesn't show?

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Then I wouldn't really worry about it. Unlike 2000 where you have to stop the usb devices before you remove them, in XP you can just unplug and plug them in at will.

Fenor

gust0208

gust0208

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Thanks for the tip! I won't sweat it now and I think I may have found the initial cause. I have been working on some home-brew USB projects and using the open source libusb drivers and found a forum posting discussing a similar phenomenon.

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. I just noticed the change in the forum look today

Then I wouldn't really worry about it. Unlike 2000 where you have to stop the usb devices before you remove them, in XP you can just unplug and plug them in at will.

Fenor

steed

steed

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hellow, can you tell me how you solve the problem in the end? A fried of mine has the same problem.
thanks

steed

steed

• Pip
  • 2 posts
by the way, I am Chinese. Which country is this forum in?