Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Memory Module (RAM) for Sony Vaio Laptop

• Please log in to reply

trainee geek

trainee geek

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Can anyone out there tell me if Sony memory modules are manufactured and labelled by Samsung?

I have bought 512mb expansion module (ref VGPMM512I-AE) from a friend of a friend.....the label on the memory chip is labelled Samsung though....is this correct?

I don't want to risk putting it into my laptop if its not the right one!!

Model of laptop is SONY Vaio VGN S2XP.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Trainee Geek

Edited by trainee geek, 13 November 2005 - 12:43 PM.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G trainee geek

Your laptop should be able to use RAM made by more than just one manufacturer, so the fact that it's made by Samsung doesn't necessarily mean it won't work.

however, the module will have to match certain specifications. According to Crucial's memory advisor, the only 512MB module they recommend has the following specs :

172 pin Micro Dimm
DDR PC2700 / DDR333
64Meg x 64

If the module you have matches this, then it 'should' be fine.