Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer boots to safe mode only and freezes!

• Please log in to reply

bugs

bugs

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I am infected with Winfixer and I was given instructions after sending my Hijack log. I tried to boot into Safe Mode(F8) but the screen froze black and I was unable to do anything. I read the full instructions on other methods of starting in safe mode and therefore ran msconfig and changed the Boot INI to boot in safe mode. I guess this was stupid since now I can't boot to windows at all. I have tried selecting the other options to no avail. Please help! Thanks, Dave

Advertisements

bugs

bugs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I just got off the phone with Dell and they said to reformat and reinstall windows! I was really upset with this answer so I hung up and thought about key strokes on my frozen "safe mode" screen. I did a control/alt/del
which brought me to the task manager. I was lucky enough to type msconfig which allowed me to change the Boot INI to uncheck safe mode. It worked! I was actually pretty proud of myself since I am basically a computer illiterate :-)! I'll never call Dell again! Anyway, any ideas on how to boot in to safe mode and have it work? Can I try removing Winfixer in the normal mode or is that a waste of time? Thanks again!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi Dave
1)Did you try the option to boot to command prompt?
2)What happens when you choose an option any error message?
3)Do yo have the xp cd

Cheers
Peterm

bugs

bugs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi:
1: yes, without success.
2: no error messages just a frozen screen.
3: yes, and I tried booting from it but don't know what I am doing. It appears just to do a reinstall or repair??

FWIW: I just read another post where the person had a frozen screen too, in safe mode??
Thanks for your help! Dave

bugs

bugs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi: I just tried rebooting again in safe mode and this time I chose administrator and I have a command prompt:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

I will stay at that screen and await your instructions.
Thank you.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi Dave
Since you are going, this will have to move to the Malware section
Malware
There seems to be a lot of winfixer on there. However you are best to start your own topic rather then trying to do a fix someone else has.
If after they have helped you the computer still won't start post back here.

Cheers
Peterm

bugs

bugs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thanks: am I in safe mode now at the command prompt? How would I open the VundoFix folder from here?