Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Geeks to Go cookbook!

• Please log in to reply

MasterJ

MasterJ

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

This is for Kat :)

City Chocolate

Ingredients:

• 3/4 fluid ounce Brandy

• 1 1/2 ounces Golden raisins

• 9 ounces Semisweet chocolate

• 7 ounces Unsalted butter

• 5 Egg yolks

• 5 Egg whites
Instructions:
  • Combine the brandy and raisins in a small saucepan and warm over low heat. Reserve.

• Chop the chocolate into small pieces and melt with the butter over a bain marie. Remove from the heat and stir in the raisins and brandy. Whisk in the yolks until combined.

• Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold the whites into chocolate mixture in two stages.

• Yield: 1 lb. 10 oz.

Thought you might like this quote, Kat.

All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
- Charles M. Schulz. American cartoonist, 1922-2000

:tazz:

Edited by masterj3000, 26 November 2005 - 10:08 PM.

Advertisements

HarryMay

HarryMay

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
it should be widely known that I do not make it a habit cooking on my off time-therefore I am willing to try anything,anywhere that anybody has graciosly made,unmless of course there's a uniform and some sort of imvolved in the packaging.Please,.if you must east out on the holidays be gratioutis and be prepared to wait.The other bdiners are enjoying the company as long bas they can and thr resteraunt personal want out as fast as they can,usually.Please be patgient when dininmg out.But I dco suggest having friends/family over and try out some of the aforementioned recipes

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Just while i was reading this through for some cooking ideas(was going to surprise mother by cooking something more complicated than an omlet, studying for a degree in chemistry yet she thinks ill burn the house down in the kitchen, go figure), and from my limited cooking knowldege i noticed one of the recipes had cook a chicken with the stuffing inside, you should always cook the stuffing seperately every year there are lots of outbreaks of food poisoning because the chickens and turkeys were cooked fine but the stuffing inside wasnt.

Just thought i would post a warning dont want you killing off your dinner guests this holiday season.

Oh and remeber to let meat rest out of the oven for twenty minutes or so (according to the telly cooking men anyway).

cherilynn

cherilynn

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Fresh Cranberry Sauce/Relish

1 bag cranberries (found only this time of year in the produce section)
1 bag small marshmellows
2 red apples-peeled
2 oranges-peeled
1 small lemon
1/2 cup sugar

You need a food processor, blender, or general food grinder
that grinds slightly coarse not liquefied.

Now get grinding! :tazz:

Wash the cranberries and sort out any bad ones.
Then coarse grind the entire batch

Peel, core, and wedge, apples. Grind up into ground cranberries

Peel, section orange. Grind into whole mix.

Squeeze lemon into separate glass, get out seeds. Then pour
the fresh lemon juice into the mixture.

Grind in approx half the bag of marshmellows and half the sugar.

Start tasting and add marshmellows and rest of the sugar to taste.
It should be kind of tart, but yummy and it will percolate to even
better taste if you let it sit in fridge over night.
This recipe can be frozen also.

cheri :)

celticcurl

celticcurl

• Pip
  • 9 posts
This one's a different spin on an old classic, and is a hit at every party.

Pumpkin Pie Cake

Pre-Heat Oven to 350’

1 29oz can “Libby’s” Brand (Solid Pack) Pumpkin
1 12oz can of “Carnation” Brand Evaporated Milk
4 Eggs (beaten)
1½ Cups Sugar
1 Tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 tsp of Salt

1 box of Yellow Cake Mix
2 Sticks of Butter (melted)
1½ Cups of Chopped Pecans

·Mix the first 6 ingredients, pour & spread evenly into a 9”x13”x3” un-greased baking dish.

·Sprinkle the Dry Yellow cake mix evenly over the top of the pumpkin pie mixture. DO NOT MIX.

·Drizzle the melted butter over the cake mix. DO NOT MIX.

·Sprinkle the top with the pecans

·Bake @ 350’ for 90 minutes

·Cool, then serve with whipped cream topping :tazz:

STV0726

STV0726

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Kat, sorry for hijacking your thread, but just couldn't resist.. :tazz:

BAKED STUFFED CHICKEN

6-7 lb. chicken
1 cup melted butter
1 cup stuffing
1 cup uncooked popcorn
salt/pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush chicken well with melted butter, salt and pepper. Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn. Place in baking pan with the neck end toward the back of the oven. Listen for popping sounds. When the chicken's [bleep] blows the oven door open and the chicken flies across the room, it's done.

I just love these easy recipes!!

Okay I gotta recipe too.

1 cup of Xmas is over

2 cups of what swear word did you put in that threat that made it go bleep

3 cups of milk

4 cups of barph

7 pounds butter

just mix and serve cold.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
There have been so many great recipes posted here, I don't want to un-pin this! :) I took the "holiday" out of the title! Let's use this as just the Official G2g Recipe thread! :tazz: Feel free to post any recipes you've tried and absolutely love!!

FourthMarineDiv

FourthMarineDiv

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Marine S.O.S. ((Not my recipe but I have made it before.))

Recipe for "Marine S.O.S. Breakfast"
(Serves 8 or two hungry Marines)
1/2 lb. Ground Beef (ground chuck for flavor)
1 tbs. Bacon fat (lard/Crisco or butter)
3 tbs. Flour
2 cups Whole milk (add more milk if you want it thinner)
1/8 tsp. Salt
Pepper (to taste)
8 slices of dry toast
Using a large skillet (12"-14"), crumble and brown the ground beef with the fat and salt, remove the pan from the heat and let cool slightly.

Mix in the flour until all of the meat is covered, using all of the flour.

Replace the skillet on the heat and stir in the milk, keep stirring until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens (boil a minimum of 1 minute).

Serve over the toast. Salt & pepper to add taste. "Semper Fidelis"

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I Love It!!!! :tazz:
.oO(this coming from the Administrator of a private Friends WeightLoss Site ~ try it you might like it!)
.oO(Ignore the points..this is just for those that have ever tried Weight Watchers....this is one of my personal favs ~ healthy & yummy all in one).

GINGER-SHRIMP & GREEN BEAN STIR-FRY
Makes 4-One Cup Servings @ 5 points per serving

Ingredients

4 teaspoons canola oil
1-1/2 pounds peeled & deveined large shrimp
4 garlic cloves, minced
1-1/2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
1 (8-ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice, drained
1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 scallions, chopped

Directions

1. Heat a large skillet (or wok) over medium-high heat until a drop of water sizzles. Pour in 2 teaspoons of the oil, swirl to coat the pan, then add the shrimp. Stir-fry until just opaque in the centre, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.

2. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the skillet. Add the garlic and ginger; stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the green beans and stir-fry, about 3 minutes. Add the pineapple and stir-fry, about 1 minute. Add the shrimp, broth, teriyaki sauce and salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp are heated through and the green beans are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the scallions.

Per Serving (1 cup): 224 Cal, 6g Fat, 1g Sat Fat, 0g Trans Fat, 252mg Chol, 653mg. Sod, 12g Carb, 2g Fibre, 29g Prot, 89mg Calc.

*Tip* Serve over whole-wheat linguine (2/3 cup for each serving will increase the count by 2)

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Ok...So you dont want healthy?.... Here's a totally DECADENT fudge recipe that is totally "todiefor"!

Five-Minute Fudge Wreaths:
Chunky Chocolate Fudge Wreath with Walnuts and Currants

Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray
From the show Oprah and Rachael Ray
Throw a Holiday Party @ OPRAH.COM
Makes 2 pounds

This super-simple recipe will be a hit at your holiday party! Try all three varieties: the Chunky Chocolate Fudge Wreath with Walnuts and Currants, the White Chocolate Wreath with Pistachio and Cranberry or the Goober and Raisinette Wreath!

INGREDIENTS
12 ounce package semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
14 ounce can Low Fat Eagle Brand condensed milk (save the can)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
8 ounce can walnuts, plus more for topping
1/2 cup raisins or dried currants (a couple of handfuls)
candied red and green cherries to decorate top (like holly)
softened butter to grease an 8 inch round cake pan

DIRECTIONS
1. Grease an 8-inch round cake pan with softened butter.
2. Pour the chocolate and butterscotch chips, condensed milk and vanilla into a medium saucepan. Put the pan on the stove and turn the heat to low.
3. Cover the empty condensed milk can with plastic wrap and put it in the center of the round cake pan.
4. Stir the chips and milk until they melt together, about 3 minutes. Stir in nuts and raisins.
5. Scoop the fudge into the cake pan all around the plastic-covered can in the center to form a wreath or ring shape. Let it be all bumpy on top. Keep pushing the can back to the center if the fudge moves it away from there.
6. Cut the red cherries in half with scissors and the green cherries into quarters. Use the green pieces to make leaves and the red to make holly berries. Decorate the fudge with several groups of holly berry sprigs made from the cherries and garnish with walnuts between the sprigs.
7. Put the fudge in the fridge and chill until firm.
8. Remove the can from the center, then loosen the sides and bottom of the fudge with a spatula.
9. Cut the fudge into thin slices to serve.

To give the wreath as a gift-wrap in cellophane and secure with a bow or ornament.

Variations:
White Chocolate Wreath with Pistachio
and Cranberry

Substitute the chocolate chips with white chocolate chips, 1 1/2 ounce bag plus 1 cup.
Substitute 1 to 1 1/2 cups of shelled natural pistachio nuts for walnuts.
Substitute 1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries for currants.
Goober and Raisinette Wreath

Swap butterscotch for peanut butter chips
Swap large whole peanuts for walnuts used in original recipe (such as peeled Virginia Peanuts)
Swap 1/2 cup large raisins for currants in original recipe

**First time I ever made fudge in my life..its AWESOME...DECADENTLY AWESOME**

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 02 March 2006 - 01:19 PM.

Advertisements

frinkulator

frinkulator

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
This is my mums all time favourite recipe, and she'd kill me for putting it on the net, but hey, spread the love.... and food. :whistling:

Chocolate Cheesecake

Ingredients
  • 250g Scalliwag (Golliwog in some places) biscuits
  • 60g melted butter
  • 500g Cream Cheese
  • 1/2 cup Sugar
  • 250g Cadbury (use a special chocolate called Milko and it tastes yum!) Chocolate
  • 100g Dark Chocolate (I recommend Lindt)
  • two and a half tsp Gelatine
  • 1/4 Cup Boiling water
  • 600ml Cream (300ml Semi Whipped, 300ml Fully Whipped)
Method
1. Crush biscuits, mix with melted butter then line bottom of greased springform tin or oblong pyrex dish with the crushed biscuit - chill in refrigerator.
2. Beat cream cheese - gradually add sugar.
3. Melt Chocolate and add to cream cheese mixture.
4. Dissolve Gelatine in water - add to mixture.
5. Fold in semi-whipped cream till well mixed.
6. Pour into the springform tin or pyrex dish which has been lined and chilled with biscuite.
7. Top with rest of fully whipped cream
8. Sprinkle with cadbury flake (or mix flake in the cream before putting on top of cheesecake)

You may need to convert the grams to ounces or pounds or whatever, just look up a converter on google :help:

To all you sweet teethed,
frinkulator :blink:

GeekMan

GeekMan

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I Used to work in a german bakery in Germany, so, heres a recipie from the bakery:

Schwarzwaelder Kirschtorte
(Black Forest Cherry Cake)

Ingredients:
===============

PASTRY:
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups (butter-) milk
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup Schwarzwaelder Kirschwasser (I used home-made cherry liquor)

FILLING:
1 cup sugar powder
1 pinch salt
1 can (0.5 liter) pitted cherries, drained
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon kirschwasser

TOPPING
1 square semisweet chocolate, or remaining crumbs

Cooking:
==========

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line the bottoms of two 8 inch round pans with parchment paper circles (since I didn't have such paper, I just greased the pans). Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and 1 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat well. Add vanilla. Add flour mixture, alternating with milk, beat until combined.
Pour into 2 round 8 inch pans. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool completely. Remove paper (if any) from under the cakes. Cut each layer in half, horizontally, making 4 layers total (as you can see from my picture, I chose not to cut the layers because they looked too fragile to cut them). Sprinkle layers with 1/2 cup Kirschwasser.
In a separate bowl, whip the cream to stiff peaks. Beat in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1 tablespoon Kirschwasser. Add sugar powder, and a pinch of salt. Beat again. Spread first layer of cake with 1/3 of the filling (use 1/2 of the filling if you have only 2 layers instead of 4). Top with 1/3 (2/3) of the cherries. Repeat with the remaining layer(s).
Frost top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with chocolate curls made by using a potato peeler on semisweet baking chocolate. Or you can use the remaining crumbs to sprinkle the sides of the cake.

Now, get your cup of tea or coffee, and Guten Appetit!

GeekMan

GeekMan

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Spaetzle

This is German noodles. You need a noodle press too.

INGREDIENTS:

* 4 cups all-purpose flour
* 5 eggs
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 cup water

DIRECTIONS:

1. In large bowl, combine flour, eggs and salt. Add water a little at a time to form a soft dough.
2. Boil 2 quarts of water in a large pot. Squeeze dough out into the water using noodle or fruit press or by pressing through a colander with large holes. When noodles float to the top of the water, they are done (3 to 4 minutes). Serve as a side or main dish.

GeekMan

GeekMan

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Kartoffelkloesse
(Potato Dumplings)

Ingredients:

2 tbsp butter
1 loaf white bread, cut into cubes
flour
2 pounds boiling potatoes, peeled, cooked
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
pepper

Cooking:

In small skillet heat margarine until bubbly and hot, add bread and sauté, stirring constantly, until bread has absorbed the margarine and is browned. Set aside. Measure out and reserve 2 tablespoons flour. in mixing bowl combine remaining flour with potatoes, egg, and seasonings, mixing well, portion dough into 24 equal mounds. Flour hands with reserved flour and shape mounds into balls, press 3 bread cubes into each ball and seal closed, forming dumplings.

In 5-quart saucepan bring water to a boil, use slotted spoon to gently lower several dumplings into water (they will sink to the bottom), when dumplings rise to surface, cook for 3 to 5 minutes longer. With slotted spoon, remove dumplings to warmed serving platter. Repeat procedure with remaining dumplings. Makes 12 servings of 2 dumplings each.

GeekMan

GeekMan

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Swabian Pancakes

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cup flour
3 large eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cup milk
1 tsp. vegetable oil
2 cup apple sauce/syrup (1 can)
1/2 cup raisins
1 tsp. oil or butter (to grease the pan)
2 tbsp. sugar
3 tbsp. almonds
1 tbsp. butter

Cooking:

Make the pancake batter by blending flour, 2 eggs, 1/4 tsp. salt and 1 cup of milk. Lightly oil a large frying pan and cook 6 to 8 pancakes (2 or 3 at a time). Heat the apple sauce and stir in the raisins. Divide the sauce between the pancakes and spread over each top. Roll up the pancakes and cut each in half with a sharp knife. Grease an ovenproof dish with oil or butter, place pancakes in the dish, setting them up on the cut edges. Blend 1 egg with sugar, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1 cup milk, and sliced almonds. Pour over the pancakes. Sprinkle with butter. Place in a preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes. Serve immediately.