Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Geeks to Go cookbook!

• Please log in to reply

GeekMan

GeekMan

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
German Potato Salad

Ingredients:

0.5 kg fat back or bacon
2 tsp. celery seed
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup vinegar
1 cup water
4 tbsp. flour
4 tbsp. sugar
3 tsp. salt
12 cups cooked potatoes, chopped
pepper
parsley

Cooking:

Cook bacon till crisp; drain (reserving 1/2 cup fat), and crumble. Cook onion and celery in fat till just tender. Blend in flour, sugar, salt, celery seed, and pepper to taste. Add vinegar and water. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Add bacon and potatoes; heat thoroughly, tossing lightly so as not to break up the potato slices. Garnish with parsley.
Can be served warm or chilled, but you taste the bacon fat a bit more when it's chilled.

Advertisements

Mr. Green

Mr. Green

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Edit...good recipe...however...family forum..we don't allow recipes for "liquid nourishment"

lewie

lewie

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Reviving this thread, for the dog lovers! No offense to kats, monkeys or others.

Liver Brownies

1 lb. liver (puree in food processor)
1 C. corn meal
1 C. flour
garlic powder (a generous amount)
2 eggs

Mix it all together, spread on tin foil lined cookie sheet, and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Peel off foil and break up for doggie bite size chunks.

Once it goes in the oven, my dogs simply sit in front of the oven, . . . waiting.

S.

Abby and Kerbey too!

Mr. Green

Mr. Green

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Sourkraut Soup
(sounds gross but sooooo good)

2 pounds sauerkraut, drained
2 pounds pork ribs
1 quart tomatoes, cut up with juice (I mash mine to a puree)
1 medium onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced (I sautee mine in the butter, salt, pepper and sugar)
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/4 stick of butter
salt and black pepper to taste (I use about a teaspoon of salt and two of pepper)
6 cups water or to your preferred consistency(I like mine thick)

Bring to boil and cook on med heat for about 30-40 min and enjoy
or
Cook overnight in crokpot and serve for dinner next day after it has stewed (this is how I do it the first was my mums)

PS: sorry about the inappropriate post

Edited by Mr. Green, 01 July 2006 - 04:30 AM.

s2006

s2006

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
this is one of my favorite salads that i like to make for work. taste awesome & healthy for the body!

baby spinich leaves
Ice berg lettuce
avacado
purple grapes
rosemary leaves
extra virgin olive oil
1 lime or lemon but lime preferred.
honey
spike seasoning
hungarian paprika
sea salt (import from brittany,france but you can buy it in the US)
*certified organic products reccommended.

On a medium dish or in a medium bowl:

layer chopped ice berg lettuce, then baby spinach leaves
next, pour olive oil gently all around & then squeeze lime all over top
gently squeeze honey all around
sprinkle spike seasoning & hungarian paprika
slice up avacado & garnish it on side of salad, same with grapes & rosemary leaves
lastly, sprinkle sea salt all around but sparingly.

The ingredients altogether have a wonderful taste.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Chocolate Ginger Millionaire’s Shortbread

Everyone's sweet favourite... delicious layers of shortbread, caramel and chocolate. This recipe has an added surprise of hot ginger pieces!

Make 16 pieces
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Chilling time: approximately 1 hour

Ingredients Method
For the base:
225g (8oz) butter shortbread biscuits
25g (1oz) butter, melted

For the filling:
150g (5 ½oz) butter
150g (5½ oz) soft brown sugar
397g can Carnation Condensed Milk
55g (2oz) stem ginger, chopped (optional)

For the topping:
115g (4oz) dark chocolate, melted
115g (4oz) white chocolate, melted
2tsp vegetable oil

You will also need:
A square brownie tin, 20cm (8”), greased and base-lined.
To make the base, process the biscuits until they are like crumbs then stir in the melted butter. Spoon this mixture into the tin and, very lightly, press to make an even layer. Chill for 20 minutes.

Place the butter and the sugar in a nonstick saucepan over a low heat, stirring until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves. Add the condensed milk and bring gently to the boil, stirring continuously to make a golden caramel. Spoon the caramel over the crumb base, to cover. Leave to chill for 20 minutes.

Sprinkle the chopped ginger over the caramel base. Stir half of the vegetable oil into each bowl of melted chocolate. Pour the dark chocolate over the caramel, spreading it out to the edges. Repeat with the white chocolate, but swirl slightly to create a pattern.

Leave aside to set. When the chocolate has hardened a little, but before it has set hard, cut into slices, and enjoy with a cup of coffee.

Top Tip--can make this Recipe with White Chocolate--or Milk Chocolate--Dark Chocolate

lizglass

lizglass

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
The Lavoisier Quiche (Nothing is lost, everything is transformed)

Here is a basic recipe that can help you to eat gourmet if stranded by snow, or when you don't know what to do with your Thanksgiving leftovers, or there is not much in your fridge to make a past-midnight meal for four...You get the picture!

1 frozen pie crust
2-3 eggs
whatever veggies are left in your fridge/pantry cut into small cubes/slices; canned peas or corn are very helpful
whatever cheese is left, grated (leftovers of cream cheese, yogurt, sour cream can be good also)
1-2 spoons of flour
whatever meat/chicken/fish/ham cut into small pieces (optional for carnivores)
any kind of dried herbs
salt, pepper to taste

Heat the oven to 220 degrees. Beat the eggs, add the other ingredients, mix well; the consistency should be of soft pooridge. Pour the mixture into the frozen pie crust. Sprinkle with grated cheese and/or bread crumbs.

Bake until the eggs are set, about 20 to 25 minutes. (you know it is ready if you stick a fork and it comes out clean)

Serve with a green salad, hot or cold. You will be happily surprised! :blink:

The problem is, you will never be able to repeat the recipe :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
halloween cat litter cake

CAKE INGREDIENTS:
1 box spice or German chocolate cake mix
1 box of white cake mix
1 package white sandwich cookies
1 large package vanilla instant pudding mix
A few drops green food coloring
12 small Tootsie Rolls or equivalent

SERVING "DISHES AND UTENSILS"
1 NEW cat-litter box
1 NEW cat-litter box liner
1 NEW pooper scooper

1) Prepare and bake cake mixes, according to directions, in any size pan. Prepare pudding and chill. Crumble cookies in small batches in blender or food processor. Add a few drops of green food coloring to 1 cup of cookie crumbs. Mix with a fork or shake in a jar. Set aside.

2) When cakes are at room temperature, crumble them into a large bowl. Toss with half of the remaining cookie crumbs and enough pudding to make the mixture moist but not soggy. Place liner in litter box and pour in mixture.

3) Unwrap 3 Tootsie Rolls and heat in a microwave until soft and pliable. Shape
the blunt ends into slightly curved points. Repeat with three more rolls. Bury the rolls decoratively in the cake mixture. Sprinkle remaining white cookie crumbs over the mixture, then scatter green crumbs lightly over top.

4) Heat 5 more Tootsie Rolls until almost melted. Scrape them on top of the cake and sprinkle with crumbs from the "litter box". Heat the remaining Tootsie Roll until pliable and hang it over the edge of the box. Place box on a sheet of newspaper and serve with scooper. Enjoy!
[attachment=11122:attachment]

stonangel

stonangel

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 429 posts
:whistling:

silencedmessage

silencedmessage

• PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
Not very healthy at all, but one of my favorites..

Saute'd chicken breast in creamy pesto sauce

**INGREDIENTS**
  • 1. Bonless Chicken Breast
  • 2. Heavy Cream (1 cup)
  • 3. Pesto Sauce (approx 2 tablespoons... can be home-made or from store)
  • 4. Milk (1/4 cup or less)
  • 5. Small bowl of flour
  • 6. Butter/margine (just to coat pan)
  • 7. Pasta of your choosing

DIRECTIONS
  • Begin to boil your pasta
  • In medium/small frying pan, melt butter
  • Dip the chicken in the milk, and then dip in the flour to lightly coat it. Be sure to shake off excess flour
  • Saute the chicken until it is about 3/4 of the way cooked (medium-high heat)
  • Add the heavy cream and pesto
  • Mix well, and reduce heat to a simmer. Let simmer until Chicken is cooked
  • Add salt/pepper to taste
  • Serve with sauce over pasta
enjoy

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
It tiss the season to be jolly ta la la

Ok time for a Christmas cake. This is my recipe! Well at least one I change quite a bit from the original. I have been cooking this type of boiled fruit cake since I was 8 years old. And I even got asked to do my nieces christening cake (for which some very surprised people gave me lot of compliments). I also been asked for the second year running to make little ones for a Christmas fund razer that helps homeless people (funny the person that asked for them also brought one of the cakes last year :whistling: )

Ok enough of that let start.
  • 375 gram pack of dried fruit.
  • Orange juice
  • A splash of run
This can start a while before your ready to cook the cake, I put the dried fruit in a container that has some kind of lid. You can add some extra dried fruit if you like you cake really fruity, I often do add some extra. You can add some nuts to if you like them in your cake. Next add a splash of Rum, a table spoon for those that just have to have a exact measurement. You can keep adding a little extra each day for a week or so, this really make it taste the little be nicer. I then add the orange juice, don't quite add enough to cover the fruit. The idea is to take the dryness out of the fruit. Leave this at least over night.
  • 1 tea spoon of mixed spice
  • 1 tea spoon of Bicarb Soda
  • 115g of sugar
  • 125g of butter
  • 1 cup of water
Add the fruit and all the above ingredients to a sauce pan, and bring to the boil. Keel boiling for a few minutes after all the butter has melted. Now put a side till cooled, the reason being when you add the eggs you don't want them to cook in the mixture before you can mix them in.
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup of plain flour
  • 1 cup of self raising flour
Add these ingredients and mix well. Then grease a cake tin, mine is a 20x20 square. If you going to ice the cake I recommend you paper like the whole tin. Add the mixture and cook in a fan forced oven for 2 hours on 140C or 285F

To make any fruit cake look like a real Christmas cake you will need Marzipanning icing. I find I need 2 500g packs to do a cake this size. It is surprisingly heavy stuff and so 1KG does not go a far as you would expect.

I find the trick to this is applying it in 2 layers. You seem to get a much better finish then 1 thick one. And also the first layer locks all the crumbs in preventing them messing up the final layer. I normally have enough left over for some decorations as well.

Edited by Michael, 29 November 2006 - 06:40 PM.

simon_shaft

simon_shaft

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Never thought there would be this kinda thing in this forum... btw did anyone knows how to make yam pot? I'd been tryin to find the recipe but... neh..

Christa

Christa

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Stuffing Balls:

2 loaves of fresh bread
1 large onion
4 large carrots
2 celery stalks
1 stick of butter
1-2cans of chicken broth
milk
1T salt
1T pepper
(garlic powder or fresh garlic if so desired)

chop up onion, carrots, celery
Melt butter in skillet add the onions carrots and celery salt and pepper
cook till onions are transparent
Break up your bread into bite size pieces
Pour cooked veggies over the bread crumbs
Add one can of Chicken broth (to start) stir all ingredients together.
You don't want the bread to be dripping wet, but it must be wet enough to hold together. I always mix it and squeeze it in my hand, if it drips it's too wet. Add a splash of milk. If still too dry add more milk and broth.

350* oven. I use a cookie scoop (or ice cream scooper, mashed potato scooper) I'm not sure what the gadget is really called, ya know with the trigger that slides across the inside of it. :blink: I have several sizes and use them for cookies, mashed potatoes, ice cream etc... Ya know what i'm talking about? :whistling: email me if you don't and I'll send ya pic.
Lightly grease a cookie sheet or two. Ball out the stuffing. Cook till just slightly brown. usually about 30-40 minutes. So much neater than regular stuffing.

:help: Tip for leftovers: If we ever have any left over, we throw a stuffing ball or two in a Ziploc baggie, add some gravy and turkey and throw ithem n the freezer.
To unthaw: Just place on a dish (unzip the bag a little to vent) pop it in the microwave.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Thanks, Christa, that sounds delicious! I like the microwave/leftover idea, too. (I have 4 kids!) I edited out your email address from the public forum because people can always click on your name to send you a message, and leaving an email addy in the open forum invites spam. Have a wonderful 2007!
Johanna
(hungry for turkey since I read the stuffing recipe, and the pork from yesterday isn't going to cut it now!)

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Traditional Scottish Recipes

Scotch Broth Soup Recipe

Traditionally Scotch Broth is a bit of everything thrown into the pot and is quite a filling soup. In olden days Scots would eat this as a main meal. In modern times many Scottish households still serve Scotch Broth as a main meal rather than a starter soup. Ingredients can be substituted depending on your own tastes. It's best made the day before to allow the full flavour to soak through. We make a huge pot of it and boil it up each day, adding more tatties and water as needed. It is very warming when eaten during the winter and is popular on New Year’s Day.

Scotch Broth Soup Ingredients:

1kg neck of mutton or lamb ( or chicken) or any other meat that you like
75g pearl barley
1 large onion
75g split peas or fresh peas
1 large leek
3 wee neeps (turnip)
1 swede
water depending on thickness required - try 2.5 litres
3 carrots
2 tablespoons of freshly chopped parsley
salt and pepper
small cabbage (optional)

Scotch Broth Soup Cooking Directions:

1. Pre soak the barley and split peas

2. Chop all the vegetables

3. Melt a wee bit of lard/cooking oil and add the chopped onion. Once softened add the water and meat (you can just add stock rather than boil meat) and boil, skimming off any fatty deposits from the top.

4. After boiling for about half an hour add the barley and peas and simmer for another 30 minutes.

5. Add the remaining vegetables.

6. If used, remove the bone and strip off the meat and return this to the pot.

7. Give the dog the bone once it's cooled!

8. Add parsley before serving. Great with warmed bread rolls.

9. If making a big pot full it'll keep out provided you boil and stir each day.

Spicy Red Lentil Soup Recipe

Spicy Red Lentil Soup Ingredients:

1 medium sized onion
3 medium carrots and potatoes
1 red pepper
125g red lentils (soak for 1 hour prior to cooking)
1 teaspoon of paprika
1 teaspoon of turmeric
A pinch of cinnamon
A pinch of cayenne pepper
A 400g can of tomatoes
750ml of water or vegetable stock
1 teaspoon of basil
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper

Spicy Red Lentil Soup Cooking Directions:

1. Chop the vegetables finely.

2. Heat 1 teaspoon of oil and fry spices.

3. Add vegetables and lentils and stir and coat vegetables with spices. Cook for about 5 minutes.

4. Cut up tomatoes, put them in a measuring jug and add enough water or stock to make 1.2 litres.

5. Add this with basil and bay leaf to pan of vegetables. Bring to the boil and simmer for 40 minutes or until the lentils are cooked.

6. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add more water or stock if necessary.

Salmon Potato and Pasta Broth Recipe

Salmon Potato and Pasta Broth Ingredients:

600g salmon fillets, roughly cut
350g potatoes, cut into wee cubes
150g baby spinach
1.3 litres vegetable stock
1 finely chopped chilli
1 chopped onion
2 finely chopped garlic cloves
200g thin macaroni
1 tablespoon olive oil

Salmon Potato and Pasta Broth

Cooking Directions:

1. In a large pan heat the oil and add the onion and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the garlic, tatties and the chilli. Stir and add the vegetable stock.

2. Simmer until the tatties are almost soft.

3. In a separate pan fully cook the macaroni in boiling water then drain the water.

4. Add the spinach and cooked macaroni to the macaroni pan and mix well. Add this mixture to the tatties and vegetables, then stir in the salmon pieces.

5. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until the salmon is cooked.

6. Serve - delicious with warmed rolls and butter.

Stovies Ingredients:

Left over Beef diced up
4 large Tatties partially boiled and sliced
1 thinly sliced onion
1 tablespoon of dripping from the cooked beef
A wee bit of beef stock
Salt and Pepper

Stovies Cooking Directions:

1. Add a wee bit of lard to a pot and gently cook the onions until soft. Add the beef (chicken/lamb can be used if prefered). Add salt and pepper.

2. Cover with tattie slices and cover with the stock depending on how moist you prefer the meal. We add a wee bit and top up as required.

3. Simmer on the hob for about an hour or cook in the oven at 190c for about 50 minutes.

4. Serve piping hot with oatcakes, beetroot and skirlie.

Skirlie Recipe

Skirlie Ingredients:

50g of butter or dripping
1 onion - finely chopped
175g oatmeal
Salt and pepper
Big spoon to shovel it in with!

Skirlie Cooking Directions:

1. Melt the butter in a pan and add the onion, frying gently to soften.

2. Stir in the oatmeal, season and cook gently for 10 minutes.

3. Serve with Stovies

Skirlie , it's really a side dish or a stuffing - but I could eat tonnes of the stuff! It's great to use as chicken/turkey stuffing and tastes even yummier when it soaks up the bird's juices. Skirlie is also a great addition to mince and tatties or stovies. The name comes from the way it's cooked - skirled in the pan. It is also called Scottish stuffing.

Chicken Casserole

Ingredients For Chicken Casserole:

65g Butter/margarine
1 finely chopped onion
125g sliced mushrooms
2 finely chopped celery sticks
400g tin of tomatoes
4 chicken joints
225g long grain brown or white rice
600mls stock
1 teaspoon of sugar
1 teaspoon mixed herbs

Cooking Directions For Chicken Casserole:

1. Melt the butter in a pan and then brown the chicken pieces. Drain off the fat and place the chicken into a casserole dish.

2. Fry the onion, rice and celery for about 4 minutes then add the tomatoes, stock, sugar and the herbs. Bring to the boil whilst stirring.

3. Pour the mixture over the chicken, cover the casserole dish and cook at 400f, 200c or gas mark 6 for about an hour.

4. Heat the remaining butter and fry the mushrooms for 2 minutes before adding to the casserole.

Rowies Recipe ( They are also known as morning rolls )

Ingredients For Aberdeen Butteries:

250g butter
125g lard
1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
500g flour
2 teaspoons of dried yeast
450ml warm water
Pinch of salt

Baking Directions For Aberdeen Butteries:

1. Make a paste from the yeast, sugar and a wee bit of the warm water and set aside.

2. Mix the flour and the salt together. Once the yeast has bubbled up add this and mix well to a dough and leave to rise.

3. Cream the butter and lard and divide into three portions.

4. Once the dough has doubled in size give it a good knead then roll into a rectangle about 1cm thick.

5. Then spread one portion of the butter mixture over two thirds of the dough.

6. Fold the remining third of the dough over onto the butter mixture and fold the other bit over - giving three layers. Roll this back to the original size.

7. Allow to cool for 40 minutes.

8. Repeat stages 5-7 twice more.

9. Cut the dough into 16 pieces and shape each to a rough circle and place on baking trays.

10. Set aside to rise for about 45 minutes then bake at 200c for 15 minutes.

Aberdeen Butteries are named after their high lard content. They are also known as morning rolls and rowies and are a traditional Aberdeen roll. The best way to describe their look and taste is a saltier, flatter and greasier Croissant. Which doesnae sound nice, but these are really delicious and filling for breakfast. They can be eaten cold and as an on the go breakfast can be toasted, buttered and with strawberry jam, Great with a mug of tea.

Haggis Recipe

Andrew's Day and Burn's Night.

Haggis Ingredients:

1 sheep's stomach bag
1 sheep's pluck - liver, lungs and heart
3 onions
250g beef Suet
150g oatmeal
salt and black pepper
a pinch of cayenne
150mls of stock/gravy

Haggis Cooking Directions:

1. Clean the stomach bag thoroughly and soak overnight. In the morning turn it inside out.

2. Wash the pluck and boil for 1.5 hours, ensuring the windpipe hangs over the pot allowing drainage of the impurities.

3. Mince the heart and lungs and grate half the liver.

4. Chop up the onions and suet.

5. Warm the oatmeal in the oven.

6. Mix all the above together and season with the salt and pepper. Then add the cayenne.

7. Pour over enough of the pluck boiled water to make the mixture watery.

8. Fill the bag with the mixture until it's half full.

9. Press out the air and sew the bag up.

10. Boil for 3 hours (you may need to [bleep] the bag with a wee needle if it looks like blowing up!) without the lid on.

11. Serve with neeps and tatties.

Easier method:

Ingredients:

2 lamb kidneys
350g lamb shoulder
125g beef suet
250g beef liver
1 cup of oatmeal
1 cup of stock (tastier if you reserve this from when you boil the meat)
2 pureed onions
salt and pepper

Cooking Directions:

1. Boil the meat for about an hour and allow to cool. Then chop the meats into wee pieces but grate the liver.

2. Toast the oatmeal in the oven in a shallow dish and shake occasionally.

3. Mix all the ingredients together.

4. Pop into a well greased glass bowl and cover with several layers of foil and steam in a pan of boiling water for two hours.

5. Serve with neeps and tatties.

Haggis History

Haggis is traditionally made with a sheep's stomach which has been stuffed with the offal of the sheep, the heart, lungs and liver. Other traditional ingredients include suet, oatmeal and seasonings. Scottish butchers vary their ingredients and often add a secret ingredient. Many now make vegetarian haggis and it is even possible to buy tinned haggis. Some haggis are now encased in man made casings rather than the traditional sheep's stomach.

You can also get a fillet of chicken breast and stuff with haggis which may have been soaked in malt whisky

Scottish Tablet Recipe (also called Scottish Toffee) But well worth it:

Tablet Ingredients:

1 teacup of milk
Large tin of condensed milk
900g of sugar
100g of butter

Tablet Cooking Directions:

1. Melt the butter and sugar. Add the condensed milk and the teacup of milk.

2. Stir and turn up the heat and keep stirring until it reaches boiling point.

3. Turn the heat down low and stir for 45 minutes (chair and book optional!)

4. Remove from the heat and beat 60 times with a wooden spoon. Put a wee bit on a plate and if it sets then it's ready to be put onto the shallow trays.

5. Score the tablet surface marking into squares and allow to set and get cold.

6. Best washed down with Irn Bru! Traditional Soft Drink also Known as the other National Drink but alcohol Free just like Coca Cola or Lemonade

Coconut Ice Recipe

How To Make Coconut Ice

Ingredients For Coconut Ice:

340g desiccated coconut
340g icing sugar
400g tin of condensed milk
Optional food colouring

Cooking Directions For Coconut Ice:

1. Place the condensed milk into a bowl and add the icing sugar. Beat well then mix in the desiccated coconut. The mixture will get firm and difficult to stir but persevere until everything is all combined.

2. Divide the mixture into two (add optional food colourings to each) and spread into an 8inch square tin giving two coloured layers and allow to set overnight (time for a wee dram!)

3. Cut into small cubes and spread on a sheet of greaseproof paper to dry slightly.

4. Enjoy and remember to share with the wee bairns or Kids

Alternative Suggestions:

Add edible colourings for a festive or seasonal variety - black and orange at Halloween, blue and white on St.Andrew's Day, or red and pink at Valentine's.

Oat Cookies Recipe

Ingredients For Oat Cookies makes 18

100g soft margarine
50g caster sugar
125g self-raising flour
25g rolled oats

Cooking Directions For Oat Cookies:

1. Cream the margarine and sugar together. Gradually work in the flour.

2. Form into balls about 1inch square and toss in the oats

3. Place on a greased baking sheet and flatten slightly with a fork.

4. Bake at 180c 350f or gas mark 4 for 15 minutes.

Alternative Suggestions:

Replace sugar with 50g of grated cheese and add salt and pepper for cheese cookies.

Replace 15g flour with 25g of drinking chocolate and omit the oats for chocolate cookies.

Omit the oats and add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to the flour for a delicious spicy cookie.

Pancake Recipe

Pancakes aren't just for pancake day!!! They are delicious as a snack or for a leisurely breakfast

Pancake Ingredients:
(Makes 4):

1 egg
300ml milk
Cooking oil
100g plain flour
Pinch of salt

Cooking Directions For Pancakes:

1. Combine the flour with the salt in a bowl and make a wee well in the centre of the bowl and add the egg.

2. Whisk/stir well whilst adding the milk. Pour the mixture into a jug.

3. Heat a wee bit of oil in a frying pan, ensuring it cover all areas of the pan. Pour some mixture into the pan (be heavy handed if, like me, you love thick pancakes), ensuring it's spread evenly.

4. Cook until one side is a nice golden brown colour and turn over to cook the other side - loons should attempt to flip this over as high as possible to impress the lassies!

5. Cook until the other side is golden brown colour and serve with lemon juice, sprinkled sugar, maple syrup or a favourite topping.

Kedgeree Recipe

Kedgeree was introduced to India by Scottish soldiers serving in India Kedgeree is often thought to be an Indian dish but it is in Fact Scottish

Ingredients For Kedgeree:

350g rice
2 smoked haddocks (need to crumble it)
50g butter
salt and pepper
2 teaspoons of tomato ketchup
4 hard boiled egg
pinch of cayenne or 1 teaspoon of curry powder
1 small chopped onion
750mls chicken stock
1 bay leaf
300ml milk

Cooking Directions For Kedgeree:

1. Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the onion.

2. Stir in the rice to coat it.

3. Add the chicken stock and bay leaf and bring to the boil.

4. Cook at 180c for 20 minutes or until the rice has absorbed the chicken stock. Poach the haddocks in the milk for 5 minutes whilst the rice is cooking.

5. Break up the fish and add to the cooked rice along with the other ingredients

6. Add the cayenne/curry powder.

Enjoy

Edited by cheyenne 09, 23 February 2007 - 05:11 PM.