Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Me to XP upgrade question

• Please log in to reply

duder.com

duder.com

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm upgrading from Windows ME to XP. When it tells me what hardware and software I have that won't work after the installation it says:Hardware-WAN Miniport (ATW). Software- Java Plug-in 1.3.1_04, Java And Digital Dashboard. I've already gotten the Java updates. D.D. -not yet. Is the WAN Miniport hardware that I must install or can I download an update (the installation wizard also said that some stuff that is under the "Hardware" heading is actually a software problem, that's why I ask)? And if it is software, where can I find an update, preferably free? Any other advice about the updating process is greatly appreciated. I'm not very computer savvy, so I need all the help I can get. Thank you.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi duder.com! Welcome to G2G!

As long as it doesn't say that your modem or network adapter will not work after upgrading, then don't really worry about it. Do the update and then come back here after it's done and we can help you straighten out anything that is amiss after the upgrade.

Fenor

duder.com

duder.com

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for responding so fast, Fenor. Actually, I just checked again and it is a Network Adaptor. What's my next step?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Right Click on MY COMPUTER, select PROPERTIES, click on the DEVICE MANAGER tab, and hit the '+' symbol next to NETWORK ADAPTERS. Tell me the name that appears for your network adapter.

Fenor

duder.com

duder.com

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It says:

-Accton EN1207D Series PCI Ethernet Adaptor
-Dial-up Adaptor
-Dial-up#2 Adaptor (VPN Support )
-Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adaptor
-WAN Miniport (ATW)

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Accton EN1207D Series PCI Ethernet Adaptor is your network adapter, the wan miniport is not your networkadapter. You will be fun updating to XP.

Fenor

duder.com

duder.com

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you SOOOOO much. I will contact you if i have any other problems with this.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Download the attached file just in case. It is the driver for your network card that will work with XP.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 13 November 2005 - 04:18 PM.