Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How would you react if....

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
How would you react if the gov't took away your alcohol forever?

What would you do? Protest? Rebel? Make it illegaly? etc.

Just curious as to what people who drink would do.

Lets get some creative ideas, if we can. :tazz:

B

Edited by Besttechie, 13 November 2005 - 03:38 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
HAHAHA ban alcohol in scotland, hahahaha never. Imagine a whole country going off their but and taking up arms then marching to kill every government official.

It will never happen, ever, alcohol is to valuable a commodity. Besdies making it is easy, especially for a chemist.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I wouldn't mind much.
I don't plan on drinking when I get older, but, like warriorsccot, I doubt it would ever happen. There are hardly any people who don't drink at least once and a while.

Edit: changed some stuff, and sorry for not reading the complete post "Just curious as to what people who drink would do."

Edited by Pi rules, 13 November 2005 - 09:16 PM.

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
I don't plan on drinking either when I get older, just was curious to see what people who do drink would say. :tazz:

B

rambro

rambro

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
Hi all,

I think the United States tried that once. Prohibition. In the 1920's and 1930's. If people want a commodity, then someone will provide them with it, legally or illegally.

DeathOutdone

DeathOutdone

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
When the US tried in the 30's, all that happened was that organized crime sprang up in the form of bootlegging mafias such as the one led by Al Capone. A number of gang/mafias and organized crime rings controlled a lot of turf, especially in Chicago and New York. People were illegitimately making millions of dollars off this stuff because it was in such demand.

What would happen is, organized crime would spring up again and new mafias would appear. Also, terrorists and drug lords from Mexico and Columbia, as well as the middle east, europe, and russia, would smuggle alchohol into the country. Terrorists would use alcohol smuggling to fund their wars. People would be upset and almost everyone would help the smugglers. The black market would boom overnight and criminals would gain the upper hand over law enforcement due to soaring revenue from the drink and sympathizers to their cause. It would in short, be a disaster, due to the unfortunate circumstance that so many adults love to drink.
So yeah, basicaly what rambro said.

I personally don't see the attraction of drinking, and never will touch a drink in my life.

Edited by DeathOutdone, 13 November 2005 - 09:42 PM.

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
I don't plan on drinking when I get older either, so I'll get all of mine done now. :tazz:

Trevuren

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
When I get older I wouldn't mind a few marguartias. :tazz:

I would never happen too. :)

MurderousMidget

MurderousMidget

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

What would happen is, organized crime would spring up again and new mafias would appear. Also, terrorists and drug lords from Mexico and Columbia, as well as the middle east, europe, and russia, would smuggle alchohol into the country. Terrorists would use alcohol smuggling to fund their wars. People would be upset and almost everyone would help the smugglers. The black market would boom overnight and criminals would gain the upper hand over law enforcement due to soaring revenue from the drink and sympathizers to their cause. It would in short, be a disaster, due to the unfortunate circumstance that so many adults love to drink.
So yeah, basicaly what rambro said.

I personally don't see the attraction of drinking, and never will touch a drink in my life.

with how much alcohol is consumed in one sitting and with how easly it can be made with practice no one would smuggle it in from other countries just like most of the pot in america is grown here because it is too great a risk to smuggle it for how cheap it is compaired to cocain and such. i agree somewhat that it would create powerful crime rings in large cities but it would probably run through the existing drug rings and for most of america would be smaller similar to pot

sorry a bit off topic.... im not really much of a drinker but i do enjoy the right to indulge when i choose and wouldnt like that taken away

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
especially in the U.S. it's not economically advisable for the government to attempt to ban alcohol again. the amount of money that they get from taxes placed on alcohol pay for a lot of things (like senator's cars and vacations)...besides the fact that when most of the people that this ban would effect sober up....they're pretty good shots with a rifle

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not drinking when you are older, wow their are alot of kids on here. All i can say is just wait until you get there, you will now the joys of beer and be happy. Besides everyone knows that drinking is good for you in moderation(well depends what you drink, absynth is not good in any quantity)

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

especially in the U.S. it's not economically advisable for the government to attempt to ban alcohol again. the amount of money that they get from taxes placed on alcohol pay for a lot of things (like senator's cars and vacations)...besides the fact that when most of the people that this ban would effect sober up....they're pretty good shots with a rifle

:tazz: dsenette: politicians would NEVER misuse tax money ...... :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
of course not....

DeathOutdone

DeathOutdone

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
of course not...unless they just happen to need a new private helicopter and feel like taking a luxury cruise to the carribean... :tazz:

Edited by DeathOutdone, 14 November 2005 - 05:51 PM.

LuNa7ic

LuNa7ic

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
It would just become like any other illegal drug - home made and sold down down dark alleys for exorbitant amounts of money.