Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Search Problem

• Please log in to reply

Antartic-Boy

Antartic-Boy

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,120 posts
Hi G2G,

I wanted to ask you why search is limited to min. 4 characters?
It was limited on 4, then it was on 3 but it didn't work well and now it's again on 4 :tazz: ..
It's bad because some of the infections are with 3 characters in their name (vx2, cws, etc..), so you can not search for their canneds..

Thanks

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
It's a limitation of the Invision forum software we use. When using full-text search (which provides better results, and is more server friendly) the search is limited to a minimum of 4 characters. I think the reason they do it is because 3 character searches would slow the site to a crawl every time a search was performed. However, vBulletin (their main competitor) does allow 3 character searches, so hopefully they'll figure out a solution as well.

Antartic-Boy

Antartic-Boy

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 1,120 posts
Thanks for the reply Admin,

However, vBulletin (their main competitor) does allow 3 character searches, so hopefully they'll figure out a solution as well.

I hope it will be soon :tazz: