Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trying to play videofiles of any kind, resssources go to 100% and syst

• Please log in to reply

AncientSion

AncientSion

• Pip
  • 7 posts
lo everyone,

major problem here. I reinstalled my system a day ago, now XP pro with SP2. Games and music run fine, but not a single videofile works.
Weither its avi, mpg, wmv, coded with divx, xvid, etc, it doesnt work.
If i try to play a moviefile, the system ressources increase to 100% while the player (used multiple ones) tries to load the file. I can then barely manually quit the player (using the task manager) before the system stops.
I tried using no codecs, some codecs, all codecs, nothing helps.
When using the "mini preview" folder layout, the start-screen of my movies is even shown, but thats about it. When trying to start them, the player loads, ressources increase and thats it.

As mentioned, game intros work fine.

I cant imagine what could be the problem...a day ago everything worked using the same hardware layout.

thanks.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome go Geeks to Go. Happens with all media players, hey? It could be lots of things. I would probably start by doing the simple things first, and move on to more difficult until it is fixed. One easy thing to try would be to remove windows media player and then re-install it. I am referring to add/remove programs, and then on the left side, add/remove windows components, third one down. Scroll down to Windows Media Player and follow the instructions to remove it. Once removed, go back and repeat the process, re-install it. If this does not fix it, move on to looking at the video driver (use Driver Cleaner if you decide to update it), codecs etc.

Edited by austin_o, 14 November 2005 - 08:30 AM.

AncientSion

AncientSion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hey,

thanks for your reply.
I will try what you suggested later today. If everything fails, i will just try to repair or reinstall the entire windows installation :tazz:

Now, whats more important. Lately i have been having errors with some kind of aspi layer stuff. I know aspi is something about sound and cd-rom. Could this be the cause ? Just wondering, because thats the only error i can remember.

AncientSion

AncientSion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey again,

i just "fixed" my problem, by turning the hardware-accleration to the lowest available value. Now this is weird, since it probably means some problem with either the mainboard or the forceware. Any further thoughts ?

AncientSion

AncientSion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Anyone ?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Are you having any other problems with your computer besides this?

AncientSion

AncientSion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Are you having any other problems with your computer besides this?

No, everything is fine apart from the video-issue.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Have you tried downloading the latest drivers for your video card? Some bugs are fixed by newer drivers. Try that and then put your hardware-accleration back to the way it was and try it out.

AncientSion

AncientSion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
For the record, i was able to fix my problem. I have ECS Mainboard using a Via KT400 shipset. Via offers some kind of "Hyperion 4in1" driver update. After i installed it, the stuff was fixed.
Just posting this, so other readers may get a solution and dont have to post :tazz:

Thanks austin and computerwiz.