Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Im new at this please help?!

• Please log in to reply

Ma13tt0

Ma13tt0

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Ok, i've always loved messing around with computers and other electronic stuff. One day i decided to mess around with a semi-old computer of mine. I took it apart looked at everything and put it back together. worked fine. so i decided to combine some of the other hardware from another computer with this one (DVDrom, graphics card). but this time it didnt turn out so well. the system starts up but the keyboards lights dont come on and neither does the monitor display anything. after a couple of seconds after startup it makes to quick beeps, then a couple of seconds later the same thing.

can anybody help me out, and if so, it should probably be somebody that has a lot of time. cause i really dont know much.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Does taking out the GFX card you put in help, and did you take proper anti static precautions when working inside the computer.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yeah, its a abit more complicated when im not actually there to troubleshoot the problem. Try taking out the videocard and putting in another if you have one. Check to make shure when you installed the dvd rom that you didnt put it on the master cable of your harddrive also, just to double check. If it is on the same ide cable as the harddrive then set the jumpers appropriate on both. (master for harddrive of course) and the dvd rom should be on slave.

Static could of messed something up if you didnt take precautions.

Check those for now thats all I can tell you.

Ma13tt0

Ma13tt0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
i got it to work, thanks. taking the gfx card helped thanks alot.