Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD-ROM drive not recognised properly in Win XP

• Please log in to reply

elpaw

elpaw

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I just got myself a new SATA HDD and installed windows on it. (I used to have just IDE). I've looked up the DVD drive in the Device Manager, and instead of saying "ATAPI DVD-ROM 16X" as it used to do, it is now called "Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device".

The problem is I cant get any discs to play in it. If I have a disc inserted, XP says "please insert a disk into the drive". I did "update driver" in the device manager today, and now the drive has completely dissappeared from both My Computer and the Disk Manager in the computer management administrative tool, although the device still displays in the device manager.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi elpaw

Thanks for starting your own thread. Even though there was a topic already running that was similar to your problem, it makes it easier for us to help people when each person has their own thread running.

At first glance, it sounds to me like the DVD drive has been placed on an IDE RAID controller, as opposed to an IDE non-raid controller. The reason I say that is because Windows often confuses RAID for SCSI, which would account for the drive being detected as a SCSI drive. It may also explain why the drive isn't functioning correctly.

Can you tell me what the make & model of your motherboard is please? If you don't know, you can download Everest from here :
http://majorgeeks.co...tion_d4181.html

Run Everest & it will give you the info about your motherboard

elpaw

elpaw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The motherboard is an MSI MS-6775 V1.00

Edited by elpaw, 13 November 2005 - 06:43 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, I've checked the manual for your motherboard & it seems that in fact you don't have any IDE RAID controllers, so that blows that theory out the window!

First off then, can you turn the system off, open up the case & check that the IDE ribbon cable is securely attached at both ends. Make sure the connector is pushed in fully all the way along.

Whilst you have the case open, can you also check whether the DVD drive is connected to the primary or the secondary IDE controller & whether it is configured as a master or a slave?