Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot download XP or IE upgrades

• Please log in to reply

ksadeckas

ksadeckas

• Pip
  • 6 posts
When I try to uplad the upgrades through the auto upgrade program, I run into a problem with ActiveX Controls and I am told to click on a bar that I do not see.

When I try to download from Microsoft itself, I am told that I already have a later version of IE, but I have deleted all Internet explorer to stop popups etc. Can you help?

Attached Files

Advertisements

SpiritWind

SpiritWind

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
:tazz: What do you mean you "deleted all Internet explorer" ?
Do you mean you have "uninstalled" Internet Explorer
so that it no longer exists in your computer ?
The simpler way to stop popups is to "turn off" Windows
Messenger Service and/or use a Pop Up blocker .

ksadeckas

ksadeckas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I uninstalled but found that I still could not download the files from Microsoft. I then deleted all remaining IE files, but stillhave the problem.

I do not have a problem with popups, I solved that. I cannot download the XP updates.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You need IE to use Windows Update. You need to re-install it. Here is a document from M$ that may help
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=318378