Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

creating a forum

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ok thanx alot of the help guys i think i'm going to use invisonfree.com as it is less complicated then the others. I have one last question. Do any of you know any HTML to create a box that requires a username and password. So that only spacifique members can view the site? once again thanx alot.

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
if you are using invisionfree, it is under the admin cp, you can set it so you need to be a member to view the site. and you can set it that you have to validate every member. so basicaly, with just the controls given to you, you can completely control who does what on the forum. there is so many options for invisionfree its amazing. i once new how to require a password for a site using javascript. but i forgot, i'll find out and post later.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

<HEAD>
<script language="JavaScript">
<!--hide

var password;

var pass1="password";

password=prompt('You need to enter a password to view this page.',' ');

if (password==pass1)
alert('Password right! Click OK to enter.');
else
{
window.location="[site to go to if password is wrong]";
}

//-->
</SCRIPT>
</HEAD>

add this code to the head of the page, and a box will come up prompting the user for the password. in this example, "password" is the password. you can guess where to put the message in the prompt. put a url to a site you want the user to go to if the password is wrong, in the place where "[site to go to if password is wrong]". hope this helps. (hope it works, lol!) didnt test it.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
thanx binary man i will try that

Paradox924X

Paradox924X

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Don't bother trying it... even if it works.. it's worthless... all the person has to do is go to View>Page Source (Ctrl+U) and they can look through that page's code and find the password... You'd have to use PHP, which is server-side, to have it be secure...
You CAN use the above code if you don't have important things on the password protected page... but don't barrier your life on thta page :tazz:

You can learn PHP at:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/

Also, check here for a nice PHP password protection script after you've installed PHP from the manual above:
http://www.hotscripts.com/

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
wow never even thought about that thanx

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
yeah, i knew that way is not secure, shoulda told you i guess, but it gets rid of the dumb people.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
lol ya

Paradox924X

Paradox924X

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
:tazz: yea.. lol

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
any idea's how you would add a movie right as you enter the site, then when the movie is done it'll send you to the page that you want the person to be directed to (home page in my case).
thanx

Advertisements

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Well, if its like an mpeg movie or some sort then you could import it into flash and then add a control at the end of the movie to go to page and then display the web page you want the people to go to.

Then you could export it as an swf and then add that to your page?

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
well, regardless of the file type of movie, i would have it open up in a new window. (use javascript in the header). and utilize wmp or quicktime or whatever for playing the movie. put a "close window" button on the bottom of the new window. so when the site opens up. a new window pops up. plays the movie, when its done, they would click the close button. and the site is right behind.