Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to reformat HD in Win XP

• Please log in to reply

curly

curly

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Spyware and other nasty things have damaged the registry in Windows XP Prof. I tried to reformat from Windows and after pushing the start button nothing else happens. I tried to open Windows in safe mode to get to the command prompt. I was successful getting there and even putting in the correct commands and it comes back and tells me it can't format it because another process is running. I don't know what else to try. I did think of putting it in my other computer running Win 98 and reformatting it as a second drive. It looks too complicated.
Anybody have any help??

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You may not need to reformat. Do you want us to help you try and repair this system?

To reformat, just put your XP CD in the drive, and restart your computer. It should begin setup automatically. If not, you'll need to change the boot order in BIOS.