Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Second Hard Drive not recognized in MyComputer

• Please log in to reply

lotusblossom

lotusblossom

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, I just installed a new 120 GB hard Drive (Seagate) and installed it
via the diskWizard software. I then partitioned and formatted the new drive (the
slave) per Seagate's instructions, using the disk management Windows software.

The disk management module sees the drive, lists it as healthy and, therefore, it
should be seen by My Computer, but it is not. (The bios lists the disk correctly and
Device Manager also lists the new disk and reported that it is working properly and its use
is enabled).

This disk is not listed in my Computer or Windows explorer (nor my Power Desk, which I use
instead of Windows Explorer). I can copy files to the drive by right clicking on a file that I want
to copy to the new drive, then when the tree comes up, I simply type G:\ for where to copy.
(The primary disk has 4 partitions C thru F, so this disk is G. (My DVD drive is R for "read" and
the CD writer is W for "write".

The only way I can access the data on the G drive is by going to the disk manager, highlighting
the disk, right clicking and explore. I can then pull up the files I copied there.

BTW, in Power Desk and Windows explorer I can right click and use the item "go to Drive" and
when I do, the G drive is listed there, but nothing happens when I click it and hit OK.

I don't know what else to do and it is simply not acceptable to me to leave things this way.

Pentium 4 2.0 Ghz
Ram 512 MB
Master drive 80 GB
OS Win XP Home edition

TIA,
Lotusblossom

Advertisements

elkii

elkii

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Can you type Start/Run/G:\ and see the files on G:\? If so, you coudl make a desktop shortcut to it?

Possibly you might need a XP service pack? Have you checked the Microsoft knowlegebase?

lotusblossom

lotusblossom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Elkii - Thanks for the response.

When I type Start>Run>G:\, it takes me to the desktop. Surprisingly everything else recognizes the drive (including Ad Aware and AVG antivirus).

I did fail to mention that I have both SP1 and SP2. :tazz:

I am truly at a loss. I've sent an E-mail to Seagate (tomorrow I will call if I don't hear from them), but I suspect they'll tell me it is a Windows problem and not theirs.

I will have to phone Microsoft, since my Win XP HE is an OEM version - I see no value in going to Gateway, since it is hard enough to get the techs to understand their own hardware, let alone the vagaries of Windows XP.

Thanks for the suggestion, it did not work.

Lotusblossom

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
in disk manager, is the partition set to active?

lotusblossom

lotusblossom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi dsenette -
I don't think so, since right clicking the drive in disk managet shows an item
"mark partition as active".

Should it be?

Thanks for responding,
Lotusblossom

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
mark it as active

lotusblossom

lotusblossom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Boo Hoo, Dsenette, It did not work - everything is the same (except the disk is now active).

I fear I will have to call MS - even tho they'll consider it an OEM problem and I know Gateway would not have the slightest idea - even if it was one of its drives. OH ME!

Thanks, anyway; I appreciate your help.

Lotusblossom

lotusblossom

lotusblossom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
SOLUTION FOUND:

I was given this solution in the c-net tech forum:

I was told that many times Windows Explorer hides drives. I went to TweakUI, and opened it and in the item MyComputer I clicked the new drive and that fixed the problem. Those of you who are gurus might want to file this tip some place for future reference. If you google the problem, it is loaded with posts from people trying to get access to their new slave drive and needing help.

Thank all who answered. I will sleep tonight!

Lotusblossom

elkii

elkii

• Pip
  • 5 posts
lotusblossom, that is good to know..thanks for posting the solution! :tazz: