Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hacking, what can be done

• Please log in to reply

BTPH

BTPH

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
today norton IS informed me that someone with IP 211.28.99.107 tried to hack my accoutn, all i know is they live in chattswood (NSW, Australia) and are registered with optusnet, ive contacted optusnet and informed them of what happened but i would like to know if there is any more that can be done about this?

im also worried it may be one of our competitors, we're taking one of them to court and lately they have emailed us a few viruses and etc.

here are the details norton has given me

inetnum: 211.28.0.0 - 211.31.255.255
netname: OPTUSINTERNET-AU
descr: OPTUS INTERNET - RETAIL
descr: INTERNET SERVICES
descr: Chatswood, Sydney
admin-c: OI3-AP
tech-c: OI3-AP
mnt-by: APNIC-HM
mnt-lower: MAINT-AU-OPTUSINTERNET
remarks: -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
remarks: This object can only be updated by APNIC hostmasters.
remarks: To update this object, please contact APNIC
remarks: hostmasters and include your organisation's account
remarks: name in the subject line.
remarks: -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
changed: [email protected] 20040316
source: APNIC

% APNIC database, last updated 20050925 23:00:32

Edited by BTPH, 14 November 2005 - 02:30 AM.

Advertisements

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
okay this is weird....this is actually my own IP.... i dont get it, hw is it possible for norton to tell me that this ip is hacking me, when its my own??? some type of error maybe?

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hey BTPH,

Alot of the traffic we see in firewalls such as Internet Security are actually false positives. DHCP/DNS traffic can be marked as intrusion attempts if the security settings are set too high. It is theoritically possible that someone may be attempting to spoof your ip address; however, at this point your best course of action is to ensure that Norton is up to date with both VIRUS and FIREWALL definitions and set logging options to only notify you about critical items.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it is also possible that one of those "virii" that your competitior sent you...has actually gotten in..