Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with IEEE 1394 Firewire card

• Please log in to reply

elkii

elkii

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Just purchased a firewire card from Ebay and put it in and Windows Xp picked it up no problem. Attached my handycam and downloaded some stuff. However TODAY, the card does not seem to be recognising the operating system. In Hardware Device Manager in XP, its giving me the error 'Device cannnot start'

The only thing i did yesterday was install a mini MP3 player but I have uninstalled all the software for this. I've tried removing the card plus the IEEE 1394 host adapter ( this shows no error). My card appears under Network adapters as a 1394 adapter.

I have also tried physically removing the card and re-inserting it to no avail.

Please help..going mad here! Do I need an XP service pack do you think?? Strange it worked once and then not again. There is no driver as such for this card, should i get one do you think?

My system is Win XP, 2.99 Ghz, 1gb RAM and loads of hard disk space (approx 10 gb).
The Firewire card is a generic IEEE 1394 PCI Firewire card.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Edited by elkii, 14 November 2005 - 04:47 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
XP has general drivers for Firewire which covers most of them, though I think they're only present in Service Pack 1 and later.

If you're not running it already, grab Service Pack 2, then delete the Firewire port from Device Manager and let it find it again on the next reboot.

elkii

elkii

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks Neil, I should have mentioned I am already running XP SP2! Any other ideas???? Thanks a mill..

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Try to find out the manufacturer of the card and download their drivers.

elkii

elkii

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks I will try that. No info on box so I don't hold out much hope..I was hoping there was a generic 1394 driver that would do it but it doesn't seem to exist! I will pull out the card and check if there is any brand on it.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Check on both sides of the card, on the chip and even do a search on the FCC ID number.