Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Can't Create Restore Point & Other Big Problems!

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
:tazz: The other day I turned on my PC and the "BLACK" Window of Death" came on!

I had options: Start Windows Normally - RESULT - Back to BWOD
Start Windows @ last best known working Config - RESULT - Back to BWOD
Safe Mode - RESULT - Could not get it to Start normally or Restore
Safe Mode w/Networking - RESULT - Same as above
Another - RESULT - Same as above

Finally I put in my WindowsXP Home Edition Install disk.
I could not do a REPAIR as I don't know my Administration Password :woot:

I did get the disk to finally check for XP components and there were some missing items :)
The good news, I did get logged back in and got my modem reinstalled, with lots of effort, I might add.
The same with setting up my connection :)

Here are the ERRORs found while running the XP Install disk:

1) COM+ Setup Error
Sub-component COM+ raised an exception while processing the OC_COMPLETE_INSTALLATION
setup message
d:\nt\com\com1x\src\complussetup\comsetup\csetuputil.cpp [line 3406]

Error Code= 0x8007007f

The specified procedure could not be found.
Failed to load the library

2) Windows Update

X An error occurred loading "C:\WINDOWS\System32\inetcomm.dll". The file may not have been installed or it has been corrupted.

3) Windows Update

X An error occurred loading "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msoe.dll". The file may not have been installed or it has been corrupted.

4) Microsoft System Management BIOS Driver

Driver Files:

File Version: 5.1.2600.2180[xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158]

I have no clue as to what is going on or how to do a repair on it.

I hope someone can guide me to what steps I can take to get all this repaired and working right again.

Thanks In Advance,

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't need an administrator password to run an XP repair.

Boot off the CD.
Press Enter (never mind what the screen says otherwise)
Press F8.
Now there's an option to Repair the existing installation.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi Neil!
Great News, I will remember that one I hope. Seems they would just say click enter.....MS is nuts sometimes :)
Although I now know how to do that, I just tried that and I pressed "R" for the Recovery Console,
clicked "1"(only option was for C-Drive).
Once there, a bunch of command prompts were there and I had no idea
if any one of them would automatically repair my XP install, or if that is even
an option through there.
If there is an option there, I do not know what to type in and even get it started to do it :tazz:

My "System Restore" is turned on and says it is monitoring both C & D drives, but when
I open system restore, I click to "CREATE A RESTORE POINT", type in a name, click "CREATE"
and it says that it can't make a restore point, to restart my system and access it again.
I did this several times, without success.

I feel I need to fix the four problems that were discovered when I was finally able to get to a regular start-up and have my windows page back, I just don't know how to do that.

As it states in my first message, it looks like some major things need to be repaired or installed back some way.

I did see this advertisement here on this site for a program called "ERROR DOCTOR", has anyone used it or know if it might fix any of my problems?

Or any ideas of what steps I should try to get this stuff fixed?

I hope someone can give me instructions, I am at a loss here and been working on this for days now.

I can't stand it when everything isn't working right. I have OCD, so you can imagine, I am Obssessing
over this crazy thing......lol