Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Batman sutit of this world

• Please log in to reply

Smart Babe

Smart Babe

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm so :tazz: I don't know where to start. First I'm want to do this for the science fair comming up. I want to make cloth that is fire proof, water proof, and electric proof. So that the were aka Me won't get hurt. I base it on Batman suit because his suit does every thing but I KNOW that he and his suit isn't real.So does anybody have any idea where i should start. Oh I forgot I want to make the cloth to drag enough air so I could suport something that is 200lb dropping from a building and not break, or crash when it lands.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i think you'll need to rewrite the laws of physics and chemistry for that one....i believe that's a little bit too hefty of a task for a science project..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well an insulated fabric is an easy jon there are a few, however if you are after a material that is rigid when a current is applied you will have to talk to nasa. To support 200 pounds you would need an awful lot of fabric as these insulated fabrics are quite heavy and usualy quite expensive for one that does everything you want, they arent anything like what batman wears, more like the kind of stuff MOP suits are made of.

DeathOutdone

DeathOutdone

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
Spider silk is being developed as armor for the soldiers out in war- its proven to be 6 times as strong and stretchy as Kevlar, which is currently a very good, lightweight, and strong armor. Armor, according to the laws of physics, needs some "give" so that it can slow the bullets down that are coming at you at a high rate of speed in order to reduce their impact.

What you are trying to do is almost impossible to do since spider silk is still in the discovering processes and hasnt yet been made into armor or capes...until then, your goal is probably impossible unless you put 10000 lbs of padding around the thing and then, you wont be able to pick it up, let alone drop it off =D

Edited by DeathOutdone, 14 November 2005 - 11:23 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well the maeterials he wants do actually exist, spider silk is a long way off as we have no way of synthesing it artificially. But materials that harden when a current is applied have are being developed for the militray and nasa now. Its all quite heavy at the moment as the hardening materials require a stronger layer as they are quite easily penetrated someting along the line of nanotube weave amterials may be a possibilty, but you could make a batman suit like that if you really wanted to and had many millions at your disposal.

Smart Babe

Smart Babe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
First I"m a GIRL. And I just want to make a piece of cloth that could do some of those things. I realize that I can't make a WHOLE Suit so I'm trying to make a 4x4 piece.
I' already got my teacher in calling thier chemsity professior and stuff and I'm will talk to NASA. It won't hurt to try. :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well..i think what we are saying is that you would be able to possibly (through alot of resaerch and jumping through hoops) be able to create and present a theoretical representation of what might be able to be done through chemistry and textile work....but there's no way you're gonna actually get a piece of this magical fabric in your hand....it's just not gonna happen...if this fabric existed...any samples of it (and the chemical formula for making it) would be kept under lock and key...and it would deffinitely not be available to a student

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah the stuff in question is not only incredibly expensive, a 4x4 piece would more than likely be more money than you will earn in half your life. Its expensive to make but its still so new that there isnt much more than that around, there is other materials that have the electro hardening property certain plastics for example can do it and it is being incorporated combined with ceramic plating in British tanks in about 10 years i think but its still way espensive. If you are lucky they might show you a picture or give you a video of it.