Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk I/O Error

• Please log in to reply

banu01

banu01

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am trying to boot my pc from a bootable diskette on drive a:

However I am getting the following message: Disk I/O Error Replace disk...

The a: drive does work because I can view the contents of the diskette from 'my computer'.

I have tried changing the drive with one that I know works, but I get the same message. I have also checked that the drivers are all up to date and they are fine too.

This is happening on a Dell Dimension 4300 running XP Pro. I have an identical machine which works fine.

Please Help.
:tazz:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G banu01

I suspect it's the disk itself thats faulty. I know you said you can open it in Windows etc, but that doesn't mean the disk is 100%. Viewing the contents of a disk is not the same as booting from it or actually accessing the files on it.

I suggest you try a couple of other floppies first & see if you can boot fom one of those. Let us know what happens

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
But just in case, sometimes the setting in BIOS for the floppy type is incorrect. You might want to go into setup and make sure it is set to 1.44mb 3.5in.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
banu01
You emailed me saying this :

"Thanks for your suggestion. I tried various disks and also reformatted them with the faulty drive OK. (as bootable)

But the problem seems to arise ONLY when I try and boot up from there."

When you formatted the disks, did you perform a full format or a quick format?