Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Optical mouse not turning off after shutdown....

• Please log in to reply

KMPrenger

KMPrenger

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
A month or so back i built my own computer. Loving it so far...but im curious as to why my optical mouse never shuts off after i power down the computer?? Does this have to be changed in the BIOS or something?? I guess if leaving the optical mouse on constantly wont wear it out i dont need to change anything..but in case it does id like to change it.

Thanks for the help people!

Advertisements

Alopeke

Alopeke

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
The problem is the PS/2 ports continue to supply power even after the computer is shutdown. Shutdown doesn't really turn the computer off, it puts it more into a standby mode. If you have an available USB port and your mouse is USB you could use the USB port instead. If the light doesn't bother you I wouldn't worry about it since it is just normal operation.

This information was gathered from
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;325975

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you have a USB mouse:

Some motherboards have the option to supply power to the USB ports (for wake-on-access sort of thing), this is generally used for wireless transmitters with built-in chargers to charge the mouse up while the system isn't in use.

It may well be that your mouse is plugged into one of these ports, in which case plug it into another one below/above it to isolate. Normally these options are changed by jumpers on the board. So without knowing what board you have, we can't be more specific.

KMPrenger

KMPrenger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
The board i have is an ASUS P5ND-2 SLI motherboard. I read over the manual and the options for that thing pretty well, but i probably missed something. But anyways ill take ur advice and try plugging it into a different USB port. Right now i have it plugged into the regular mouse port with an adapter that connects the USB end of the mouse cord to the mouse port.

Thanks for the help, ill try to get back with you and let ya know how switching it around goes.