Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Install .NET Framework on XP SP2

• Please log in to reply

lindemann

lindemann

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Guys,

My problem has many of the same symptoms as Franam posted on Oct 14th.

Every time I run the .Net 1.1 Install it gets to somewhere around the 'Registering Components' section and then... Bingo.... it just reboots. Like Franam I've been through most of the stuff recommended by MS such as cleanups, etc, but every time it's the same performance.

Like Franam, I'm now convinced it's a more deep-rooted problem. About a year ago, I had a Trojan problem and you guys, together with Hijack This got me sorted out. I'm wondering if something got twisted around in that episode that is now causing the problem.

The one thing I did do was to enable Installer Logging and I'm attaching the logfile. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

lindemann

PS Obviously not my day, I'm getting a message saying I can't upload a file with that extension. It's a .txt file in Notepad. Help!!

Advertisements

lindemann

lindemann

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
A bit more information that may possibly help.

I downloaded Registry Mechanic because it was recommended elsewhere in this forum. When running the 'Deep Scan' part of it's routine it gets to 'Building Index' and displays HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE when...... my system crashes and reboots just like when I run .NET Framework Install. I'm pretty convinced there's a Registry problem but how do I go about diagnosing and fixing?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
This will rebuild rather than restore the registry and also replace missing or corrupt system files

Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

lindemann

lindemann

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Unfortunately my system tells me that it can't find scanreg.exe!!

To give you all details:- I only have the option Safe Mode with Command Prompt, I assume this is OK?

I tried scanreg.exe/fix and scanreg.exe<space>fix and I also tried just scanreg.exe. In all cases it tells me "Can't find".

I appreciate the help but what next?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
98SE is more likely to find that

Try typing sfc /scanonce at the command prompt

Or chkdsk /f /r then type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter and reboot, this will take an hour

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
awoops :tazz:

lindemann

lindemann

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Guys,

I ran sfc but the symptoms are exactly the same I'm afraid.

Before sfc, I could run Registry Mechanic in Custom Scan. Scanning everything except 'Deep Scan' gave me 8 problems that I can only fix with the paid version of RegMech. Running 'Deep Scan' gave 58 errors but causes a crash while building the index (log file?). I've no problem paying for a fix but it seems like the paid version is going to crash just like the freebie, so no point paying at this stage.

After running sfc, the scan now gives 9 errors instead of 8 (ie slightly worse but fixable), Deep Scan still gives 58 errors and crashes.

What next?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Try this link for .net framework, you can uninstall paint.net after you see if it installs .net framework, though you might consider it to be better than the default paint

http://www.eecs.wsu...._5_RC1_Full.exe

If you would like to install Paint.NET, we provide installers that include the .NET Framework for your convenience: they will detect if .NET is installed, and if it's not they will install it. We recommend downloading these if you do not already have .NET installed, if you are unsure if you have .NET installed, if you would like to share Paint.NET with a friend, if you would like to distribute Paint.NET on a CD or DVD, or if it's just plain more convenient.

http://www.eecs.wsu.....net/index.html

lindemann

lindemann

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Keith,

Many thanks for that. I'm also in UK and I'm working late tonight so it'll be tomorrow before I can try anything, Fri maybe Sat before I can post again. I will return.......

Thanks again.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It will be worth seeing if Tune Up picks up on the same errors and if .net framework will install from the paint installer

Have you got Windows Installer 3.1 v2

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

lindemann

lindemann

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I've done the following:

Tried the Paint.Net install but this also crashes at the Updating Registry step.

Ran Tune Up Disk Clean and Registry Clean.

Re-ran RegMech but it picked up 18 faults on Deep Scan (was 58 before) but it still crashes when Building Index.

It seems to me that there is some deep-rooted problem with a Registry value and I need to be able to specifically identify the location(s) of the Problem(s) and then manually zap the little buggers. The proprietary products available (RegMech, TuneUp) just aren't doing the biz.

Another question/approach. I can download RegMech, TuneUp and any number of other applications but I can't download and install .Net Framework or Paint.Net. Which bits of the registry are involved in one but not the other? Does this help to narrow down the problem/fix?

Thanks again for the ongoing help, it's just frustrating that we can't bottom-out this problem.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This applies to a PC that won't start, however it replaces the registry

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;307545

Or this

You can use these to repair XP

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Hi lindemann,
Can you try the new .NET Framework 2.0 and see if it installs; you can download it from the link below:
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en