Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

_NEC DVD Burner does not play

• Please log in to reply

Kat_V

Kat_V

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:) Hi everyone .. I am new to this site & I am a newbie when it comes to PC's.

My problem started a year ago but due to a family illness then death I had to shove this problem on the back burner. My PC was only 5 months old when this happened so I had not been able to make back-up CD's.

I have a Compaq Presario S3000T PC with _NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD and SamSung CD+Rom SC-148A .. Everything worked fine until I did my WindowsXP Service Pack 2 update .. since then my DVD drive drawer opens automatically when PC is turned on or re-booted. It does not stay shut unless I hold it shut until pressure to open stops. I put in a DVD, hold drawer shut but nothing happens. I cannot play DVD's but I can play CD's. I have contacted other groups & HP Support (who gave me long list of suggestions but so far nothing) .. I have un-installed BOTH thru Device Manager, re-booted & allowed PC to find & re-install hardware but no change.

I've been told Video Bios needs to be updated but the _NEC site only offers flash bios & doesnt offer any other technical support or guarantees. I have been given maybe 20 different fixes but so far nothing works. I read somewhere that there is a patch that fixes this on microsoft site but was unable to find it.

Matters have gotten worse since a nasty Trojan took over couple months ago & I have had to move files from original logon screen into this other one .. alot of important files went missing.

I am at a loss where to go or what to do next. Is there anyone that has different suggestions to this ongoing nightmare. :tazz:

Thanks in advance

Advertisements