Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrade problems

• Please log in to reply

ambmy9

ambmy9

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
i upgraded to 98 second edition a couple of days ago and now my computer keeps freezing and it wont let me download aol 9.0 and aol spyware program it keeps saying illegal operation shutting down..... and does anyone know what aolacsd means because its making my computer freeze to. also now my computer runs slow even though i did disk scan and defragf. please someone help i dont know what to do :tazz:

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Tell us more about what you did. Was this an upgrade disk or a clean install with a formatted disk? What was your previous system? Do you have a clean install (not an upgrade) disk?

ambmy9

ambmy9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
i went from just 98 to second edition 98 i didn't realize that it said on the box it says for pc with out windows but it came with a cd a floppy that says boot disk and when i ran it, it said i could use it to upgrade so what do i do to fix it? :tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
That's the problem, you installed over the old OS with a disk make for a clean install. You just need to do this. Put the boot floppy in and start the computer, choose with cd-rom. When the A:> prompt comes up type in

format C:

and hit Enter. After C: is formatted put in the cd-rom disk and type

D:\setup

if that doesn't start Setup, try

D:\win98\setup

where D: is the cd-rom drive letter.It may be another letter.

and setup should start. Make sure you have your product key handy. Not all keys work with all disks, so you need to use the one that worked with the new disk.

ambmy9

ambmy9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
will that clean my computer out because i bought this used and i don't have the disk to certain programs that it came with when i bought it.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

will that clean my computer out because i bought this used and i don't have the disk to certain programs that it came with when i bought it.

Yes it would. You might try uninstalling 98se and then going into windows/options/cabs and running setup for win98 from there. This may turn out to be quite messy. What kind of stuff do you have that you need drivers for?

ambmy9

ambmy9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
well i was worried about microsoft word and microsoft work i don't want to loose them but i can get my video driver off the internet thats if i can get online after i do this i have a compaq presario...... do u know of any other drivers that i would need if i do this and if i really need the programs above^ to run anything on my computer if anything i have my quick restore cds that i can use to restore it before i put 98 second edition... get back to me when u can thanks for ur help:)

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
As far as the stuff that came with the machine goes the HP/Compaq website will have all the drivers for it. If something was added, a graphics or network card say, you will have to get the drivers elsewhere. It's most important to have the drivers for the modem or network card, whatever you are using to connect to the net. Download them to a floppy if you can, while you are still connected. Without the net connection you can't get the other drivers.

ambmy9

ambmy9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
how do i download the net work driver or modem drivers i really don't know how to do stuff like that:(

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Right click on My Computer and choose Properties, then Device Manager, expand the entries for Modem and Network Adapter, whichever ones are there, and write down all the information, or you could download Everest Home Edition, just Google for it, and install it and post the information as an attachment to this topic. We'll help you find the downloads. If not me, someone else can help.

Advertisements

ambmy9

ambmy9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
well you were right it was a big mess. i had to do a quick restore on my computer because all the programs kept on freezing and i could not even get on line.i would like to put the 98 second edition on my computer i'm going to download everest home edition and then i will post whats on my computer later today then maybe u can tell me what i need to save before i do it

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Be more than glad to help you. If you don't have one now, be sure to go to add/remove programs in control panel and make yourself a boot floppy.

ambmy9

ambmy9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Field Value
Computer
Operating System Microsoft Windows 98
OS Service Pack -
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name COMPAQ (Compaq User)
User Name Default

Motherboard
CPU Type Intel Pentium III, 450 MHz (4.5 x 100)
Motherboard Name Compaq Compaq PC
Motherboard Chipset Intel 82440BX/ZX
System Memory 384 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type Compaq (01/19/99)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200
Monitor HP Pavilion MX75 (THLFO02349)

Multimedia
Audio Adapter Diamond Sonic Impact S90 Sound Card

Storage
IDE Controller Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
IDE Controller Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
IDE Controller Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
Floppy Drive GENERIC NEC FLOPPY DISK
Disk Drive GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE01
Optical Drive Compaq DVD-ROM DVD-113R (6x/32x DVD-ROM)
Optical Drive IDE-CD R/RW 4x4x24 (4x/4x/24x CD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status Unknown

Partitions
C: (FAT32) 10296 MB (8208 MB free)
D: (FAT32) 2578 MB (908 MB free)
Total Size 12874 MB (9116 MB free)

Input
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
Mouse WheelMouse1 (PS/2)

Network
Network Adapter PPP Adapter. (172.198.4.200)
Network Adapter PPP Adapter.
Modem Rockwell HCF 56K Data Fax PCI Modem

Peripherals
USB1 Controller Intel 82371AB/EB PIIX4 - USB Host Controller
USB Device Generic USB Hub

ambmy9

ambmy9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
hope thats what u needed i didn't know how to do the attachment thing so i just copyed it and put it on there if u need something else just tell me i put it on here

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
No, that's great. You can either copy that page to a floppy or just go to it on the forum for the info.

Here's the link for the video drivers.

http://www.nvidia.co...in9x_77.72.html

You might first want to try going to the www.compaq.com and putting in your model information and looking for the modem drivers, and download them to a floppy. You can see if they have any more of the drivers there too. This machine (Acer) has the same modem and I downloaded the drivers from the Acer site.