Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Some advice on upgrading

• Please log in to reply

El Jimben

El Jimben

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I posted this in the hardware forum but I think it's probably better placed here after all!

I'm buying a venice 3200+ 939pin from friend for a very reasonable £50 but I need help choosing a new mobo & probably a GFX card. I've got a radeon 9000 atm so I'm thinking about making my system abit more future proof by getting a mobo that supports pci-e instead and getting a new GFX card but I dunno which mobo and GFX to get.

I was looking at a sapphire x800 pro or something similar. My budget is probably about £250 (£300 at a push). I've got 1GB mixed DDR of differing speeds which sucks I know & will slow the system down but I'll replace that later I think when I've got more ££. I'm guessing also that I'm gonna have to get a new PSU as a PCI-E card will want a different type of power connector?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well any of the nforce 4 ultras from MSI, ABIT, ASUS or GIGABYTE, great deal on that cpu i paid over double for mines. PCI-E gfx cards dont need an extrernal power, what size of PSU do you have now, you want at least 400W for that system from a decent quality brand. x800s are good.

El Jimben

El Jimben

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I'm not sure on the output on my PSU output but siso sandra says this (if this meaning anything):

Voltage Sensor(s)
CPU Voltage : 1.73V
+3.3V Voltage : 3.28V
+5V Voltage : 5.08V
+12V Voltage : 11.80V
-5V Voltage : -7.01V
Standby Voltage : 4.87V
Battery Voltage : 2.96V

Otherwise I'll have to crack open my case. Any terms of graphics cards, is there alot of difference in x800 and x850 and their various XT/pro flavours? There's so many to choose from and so many third parties that put the boards out there, I'm really not sure what would be good value for money. I'm thinking of maybe spending £150 - £200 on the graphics card.

Also, in terms of cooling, I want case fans with the biggest output (ie cfm) or something? Am I better of with 120mm case fans or 80? I've also been looking at PCI cards that act as as exhausts fan as they were are only a few quid but do these make a noticablel difference to the system temp?

If anyone can provide me with some good links relating to the above, it would be greatly appreciated.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
www.overclockers.co.uk go there has everything you need not always the cheapest but has best selection of the best parts and is an easy site to use.

you will need to open the case and look on the sticker to get the power of the PSU.
pro cards are slowest then the xl cards are usually in the middle and then the xt and xt pe are the best, x850 is faster and there is new cards out from ATI and the 6800GS from Nvidia is probably one of the best reasonably priced gaming cards on the market.

Well i would only say get more fans if you really have a heat problem, the more fans the more your PC will sound like a small commercial aircraft, and bigger is better with fans.(Dont get PCI exhausts unless really desperate) Arctic silencers for you gfx card can make a fair difference to temps.

El Jimben

El Jimben

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks mate, I'll get a shopping list and I'll probably wait til after xmas to see what my budget is and hope that prices might drop abit, also I get a £1,500 bonus in March so I might wait til then :tazz: . Do online sites like overclockers and ebuyer generally overstock abit for xmas or not? Did you use overclockers to get the bits for your PC Warrior?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I used overclockers and ebuyer, ebuyer is ridiculously cheap but the site is a pain and they dont always have the best hardware (good but not the best) overclockers stocks the best but it is sometimes more expensive but the site is easy to use and it does usually have some good deals. As far as i know they get more stock in but they usually sell it off and becasue they usually stock the latest and greatest there usually isnt as big a need to flog it fast as there is on places like ebuyer buying budget components on the edge of their usefulness. You will probably pick up a couple of good deals after christmas but i wouldnt think it would be on the big stuff.