Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Taskbar doesn't display, many drivers won't run, etc

• Please log in to reply

djcatskratch

djcatskratch

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello everyone. After rebooting my PC not too long ago, my taskbar at the bottom no longer shows up. Programs still run, and very limited drivers are still working. I still have internet access, some networking, and a few other things. However I have no sound drivers, I'm unable to move files via copy/cut paste, my CD Burner is not working, and a few other problems. I've run several scans with ad-aware and ewido and it only found the minor spyware problems. I'm pretty sure something else is wrong here. It also doesn't show me as being logged in to my system when I bring up the task manager. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running Windows XP SP2 as well. Just let me know what info you need from me. Thank you for your time.

--skratch

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
djcatskratch...

Have you tried running System Restore?

This can be done from Task Manager. Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to bring up Task Manager. Click the "New Task" button and type restore in the run box...click "Ok".

This will either bring up the System Restore function or a window labeled "Restore". If the Restore window comes up, double-click the icon labeled rstrui and follow the prompts to restore your machine to a time before the problem began.

Let me know how you fare...

wannabe1

djcatskratch

djcatskratch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Well, probably a stupid mistake I won't make again, but I had system restore turned off so that won't work. It wouldn't even let me turn it on either. So thats one thing down, heh. We'll keep trying at it, thanks for your help.

--skratch

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
djcatskratch...

It's not unusual to have system restore disabled, but you should back up the registry once in a while if it is disabled.

Do you have an XP installation disk? If you do, is it OEM or retail?

wannabe1

djcatskratch

djcatskratch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I don't have an actual XP installation disc, only the "System Recovery" CDs that game with my Sony Viao. XP was pre-installed on my PC. I do have all of those system recovery CDs though but I'm not sure if they'll have any XP installs on them.

--skratch

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
djcatskratch...

What model Viao do you have?

wannabe1

djcatskratch

djcatskratch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
It's a PCV-RX650.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Can you access the start menu by pressing the Windows Start key (between Ctrl and Alt)?

If so, right click "My Computer" and choose "Explore". Then right click on the "C" drive and choose "Properties". Click the "Tools" tab and then click on the "Check Now" button. Tick both check boxes in the Check Disk dialog window and click "Start".

This will want to run on restart so accept any prompts to do so and restart your machine. This check will take a while...be patient.

Let me know if you are able to do this...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 14 November 2005 - 11:49 PM.

djcatskratch

djcatskratch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok, that helped fix one thing. When it was checking the files, it found bad sectors on my logonui.exe file and fixed it, so when it rebooted, it gave me my old logon screen that I've not seen in months. It still only brought up my desktop icons and no taskbar. We're getting a bit closer now it seems. Thanks again for your help!

--skratch

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
djcatskratch...

Download and run this Repair Application for your taskbar.

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

Advertisements

djcatskratch

djcatskratch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok, I saved that and just opened it and it didn't seem like it did anything so I restarted the PC and still no taskbar. I kept that file just in case though, in case we need it later.

--skratch

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
djcatskratch...

I'm going to have to research this a little more.... :tazz: but it's bedtime for this old man tonight. I'll post back with what I find in the morning. I know a couple of registry tweaks for this, but they are quite long and best saved as a last resort.

wannabe1

djcatskratch

djcatskratch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yeah, likewise here, got a lunch date tomorrow with the Miss's. Need to get some rest before that, haha. I'm sure we'll figure it out. Thanks again!

--skratch

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good Morning, djcatskratch...

Let's check a value in the registry. Press the Windows Start key and click Run then type regedit and click "Ok". In the left pane, expand (click the +) HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then Software, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, then Explorer, and single click on Advanced.

In the right pane, scroll to TaskbarGlomming. The value for this in the Data column should be 00000001 (1)

If this value is not 00000001, double click on TaskbarGlomming and type 1 in the "Value Data" box. Make sure there is a tick next to "Hexadecimal" and click "Ok".

Restart your machine and see if your taskbar has returned. Post back with your results.

wannabe1

djcatskratch

djcatskratch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok, I checked that, and the data value was 000000001. I'm not sure if this is related, but when I reboot my PC and it starts up, it asks me to log in with my normal username, djcatskratch. However, when I press CTRL ALT DELETE, and go to the users tab, it doesn't show me logged on. It always has before until the taskbar problem started coming up. Maybe that'll help with the problem. Thanks!

--skratch