Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Taskbar doesn't display, many drivers won't run, etc

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...

Download HiJackThis, install it, run it, and attach a log for me too look at to your next post.

wannabe1

Advertisements

djcatskratch

djcatskratch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok! Here you go!

(edited out Log)

--skratch

Edited by djcatskratch, 15 November 2005 - 03:00 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
djcatskratch...

There are some entries in the HJT log that I don't like. I'm no expert on these logs so I'd like for you to go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Please edit the HJT log out of your previous post...Thanx!

wannabe1

djcatskratch

djcatskratch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok, I did everything I was told in the malware forum and still no taskbar at the bottom, so the problem must be more deep rooted. Just wanted to let you know its still not fixed. Thanks!

--skratch

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
djcatskratch...

Download the attachment below and open it in notepad. Click on "Files" and choose "Save as"...In the Save as window, in the "Save in" box at the top, choose "Desktop"...in the File Name box type task.reg ... in the "Save as type" box choose "All Files" and click "Ok".

Right click on the file on the Dexktop and select "Merge" and accept the operation. Reboot your machine.

Do you have a taskbar after rebooting?

wannabe1

Attached Files

• Attached File  task.txt   1.74KB   51 downloads

djcatskratch

djcatskratch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok, I ran that registry editor and it still won't bring up the taskbar. What I don't understand is why it still doesn't show me on the active users list, yet I still have to login and everything. I don't know if this is something messing up when windows starts up or what. If there was a way to show everything on startup, that might give us some more info. Thanks again for all your help.

--skratch

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
djcatskratch...

To show start up applications, click Start then Run and type msconfig...click "Ok". Click on the "Startup" tab. Don't disable anything in the list yet, though...some of the listed applications are required by Windows to run properly. List all checked items to your next post and I'll help you shut down the unnecesary ones.

Download the attached file (another registry edit) and do the same thing with this one as you did the last one I gave you. Let me know if it restores the Task Bar.

wannabe1

Attached Files

Edited by wannabe1, 21 November 2005 - 03:06 PM.

djcatskratch

djcatskratch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Still no taskbar. I had startup problems before so I already had them taken care of, so I'm only running the "Atiptaxx" for my ATI video card, and "Vaio Action Setup" for my Viao's shortcut keys.

But other wierd things I've noticed that no longer work on my PC is Javascript, but only on my two IE based browsers. Netscape does it fine still. No sound, Windows Media Player won't even run. Programs won't install either based on windows like a driver for a new joypad and that Media Center Connect program either. None of this is making any sense at all.