Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PCI-Express Video Power

• Please log in to reply

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Do PCI-Express video cards require power from a non-4-pin power connector

If so, does ULTRA Modular Power Supplies support it?

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
yes pci-e cards require a special 6-pin power connector. most if not all cards come with a little adapter that you can connect ANY psu (that has enough wattage to handle it) to the card. most psu's ive seen only have the standard connectors, but with the little adapter that comes with the card you will be fine. the required wattage varys by the specific card, but i wouldent buy a power supply less than 450watts, i think that is plenty for any card, unless you have alot of drives, and 2 video cards, go for something higher like 500, 550, 600.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Most PCI-E cards dont need additional power one fo the benefits over AGP in PCI-E is that it can provide adequate power to gfx cards. The collers on the other hand can need extra power sometimes depeding on the card design and wether its an add on. Most mid end low high end cards wont need an extra power connector but the more powerful hotter ones might or ones with modified coolers like some special edition cards have.

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
About the PSU warriorscot, what is better, an Enermax 400 500Watt PSU or the Theramltake 450 490 Watt PSU, i would guess Thermaltake but it's about 18.9 USD more expensive so is that quality worth the extra?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Enermax are also of very high quality so i would go with the enermax. Thermaltake is good but they dont have the rep of enermax, enermax make the most powerful PSUs on the market, they make them up to 1KW and all the hardcore nutters use enermax.

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
This is the PC i'll get, let me know if the Enermax one will be good enough,

DFI LANPARTY nForce 4 Ultra(2 PCI-e x16 one) or MSI K8N Neo4 Platnium
AMD X2 4400+ Athlon 64
nVidia 7800GTX or nVidia 6800GS
250Gb HDD Seagate SATA2, will add at least 1 more in future, maybe 3
Zalman CNPS9500 HSF
Corsair PC3200 XMS 1024Mb in 512 Sticks, may get 2gig(do you think it's better to get one stick or two, i'll add more in future)
Creative Audigy 2 ZS 7.1 sound card
Digital TV tuner
LiteOn DVD writer, may add blueray or HD writer in future

It seems a bit beefy to me but will the Enermax 500 Watt PSU be enough?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah the eneramx is sufficent i wouldnt reccomend anything below 500W though, Ram two sticks have better performance so i would get that now.

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
i read the thing wrong, it should be a Enermax 420 Watt PSU. so is that still enough because i can't find anywhere else that sells 500Watt ones. otherwise, i could get the Raidmax ninja2 case. they supply a 520 watt psu which was what caught my eye. but you and others have warned about generic PSUs. however Raidmax is a well respected gaming case making company so will their PSUs be that bad?

Edited by Hammm, 08 February 2006 - 12:58 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Raidmax i cant say i see alot of and the last one i saw was the ugliest tackiest case ive ever seen. Ild rather go with one of the companies with a good rep like the Enermax or an Antec.

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
found a Enermax 535W PSU but it's a bit expensive, not too much but just on the border of my budget other wise a 480W Thermaltake is a bit cheaper and only 55Ws in it, which one would you say for my specs

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ild just get the thermaltake then, if youre looking for a case as well as a psu the antec cases beaically come with free PSUs and most of the time the PSUs cost more to buy seperately than the case does.

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
which Antec cases do you recommend other than the LanBoy which is my fav

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
I'm looking at the ThermalTake Shark which comes with a 430Watt PSU. Will that be enough because like warriorscot said, it's funny because both cost the same, it's not the price i really care about it's that if i get a 480Watt thermaltake PSU, will it be better than a 430Watt one. Not to do with money, much, but why pay for something when you can get it for free? Any suggestions, my specs are near the start of the forum

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
430W is ok but it might not be if you do alot of upgrades, All the antec cases are good they are very high quality practical cases.

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
i found a Antec TX1050B with 500Watt PSU which is good, looks okay. other wise i'll take the Lanboy but that doesn't have as many fans, also how many fan headers on the MSI KN8 Neo4 Platinum? the DFI UT ultras got 5 and that should be enough but what about MSI, doesn't say in specs or i could go with the TX1088AMG which is almost the same as the TX1050B but 20Watt less PSU but TruePower PSU both are around the 230 USD mark which is acceptable but a LAnBoy with a similar PSU is the same, any ideas on which one but i'd like to know the MSI header thing

Edited by Hammm, 14 February 2006 - 01:02 AM.